VMware Horizon Community
DaleHutch69
Contributor
Contributor

App Volume Question

I've got a question about App Volumes that probably has already been answered. I searched really did not see anything.

So. I want to create a new appstack. I create the appstack on the server. Fire up the capture desktop and attach it for provisioning.

Here is my problem. I have an application that just needs to be copied into a folder and and shortcut placed on the desktop. No EXE or MSI to install anything.

I can't get AppVolumes to capture this and create a AppStack.

Any suggestions?  The only way to get it working is to have it in the golden image.

7 Replies
mwyman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AppVolumes takes profiling during the actual install of a program. You can either put the shortcut on the parent image or use UEM to complete this too.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

What folder are you copying it to, if your coping it to folder is C:\users it will not be captured. I normally just place them in the root of C: or place them in program files like an installer would

DaleHutch69
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I considered UEM for this but I need to restrict the use to a group of users. I'll look at UEM more closely.

0 Kudos
DaleHutch69
Contributor
Contributor

I have it copied in the root on the golden image now with a shortcut in the folder that I just copy to the desktop. It works for users who are not too computer savvy. But ones who are they can look at the C drive and see it and use it. Not something I really want but to get it working on a VM it is a solution for now. 

0 Kudos
mwyman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In UEM you can create a shortcut, put it where you want. Then you can create a "condition" for the shortcut, that way only certain users in a group can see it.

techguy129
Expert
Expert

sjesse is the correct answer for putting a application in an appstack that doesn't have an install. For the shortcut, I would use UEM like mywman suggested if you have it in the appstack. You can also use Application Blocking in UEM if you want to prevent a user for executing it.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Yes what I do is start the provisiong process , copy the folder to the c:\, and then place a shortcut in the startup folder. If your really getting stuck install something like notepad++ or something small to make it work. The other option is if its small enough you can put the folder in uem, and have it add it when they logon, with a shortcut that points to it in their profile.

0 Kudos