VMware Horizon Community
5Y54DMIN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

App Vols 4.0.1.35 And creating new templates.

Vmware App Volumes VERSION: 4.0.1.35

We have updated our app volume server to version 4.0.1.35.  And when we create a package for an application the only option is to use a 20 gb size vmdk. As you know smaller apps like notepad++ does not need that much space.  How do we create smaller vmdk templates for version 4 like what we had with 2.X app volumes? is there a KB artical on how to do this for app vol version 4?

Capture.PNG

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unless you have a reason to, I wouldn't change them, I normally only suggest changing the template if you know its going to be larger than 20gb. There are situations where the thin provisioning can get lost, like manually moving the vmdk and reimporting it into app volumes but there are ways to get the space back if that happens.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vBritinUSA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thats normal, the package is created thin. So after you create the package you will see its mb not gb.

Take a look at the screenshots towards the end.

https://www.vbrit.net/appvolumes/appvolumes-4-packages

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
5Y54DMIN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vBritinUSA

SO let me ask you this do i even need to create templates for the packages?  if there thin then there not really taking up 20 gigs for each app?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unless you have a reason to, I wouldn't change them, I normally only suggest changing the template if you know its going to be larger than 20gb. There are situations where the thin provisioning can get lost, like manually moving the vmdk and reimporting it into app volumes but there are ways to get the space back if that happens.

0 Kudos
vBritinUSA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You need the template as it has the necessary components to do the capture and merge of the Applications in to the OS

You can have multiple Application in a package just like we did in version 2.X of AVM.

Packages really come into play when an application is updated often, so you can create version of the package and deploy it via its "Current" flag or Security group/user.

And correct they are created thin, look at the link I put up you will see that Notepad ++ takes up 57MB not the 20GB.

0 Kudos
5Y54DMIN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vBritinUSA​  & sjesse

So if i understood you both, best practice is to leave the 20 gig template, because its not really 20 gigs and only create a new one if the packages are larger than 20 gigs?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
vBritinUSA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Correct Smiley Happy

0 Kudos