VMware Horizon Community
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

App Stack Deployment Issue

Hi Team,

I have an app profiler machine and mistakenly installed a software and got corrupted.

If I restart and provision the application via app stack, it is not working well.

Please share me a good idea to revert my App Profiler PC to a previous version and install application for deploying via app stack.

I do not want to reset app profiler PC or re-format.

Thanks,

Ram

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Team,

Can I uninstall VMware DEM Application Profiler? Uninstalling the Application profiler will impact any applications on App Stack?

I am uninstalling an application from the PC and restarted, again I noticed that the uninstalled application is still available on the PC.

Please help.

Thanks,
Ram

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

You should have a snapshot taken after it was finish setting up, if not you have to rebuild it. It should take long as these should be virtual machines, just clone the parent image uninstall everything but the appvolumes agent, remove it from the domain and add it again as the old provisioning machine.

Best Practices for Provisioning Virtual Machines and Applications

Virtual machines used for provisioning should have a snapshot dedicated to the state of a user's desktop. After provisioning, virtual machines should have a clean snapshot that was made directly following the App Volumes agent installation. After the completion of provisioning, the virtual machine reverts to a clean state, that is, the snapshot.

ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi sjesse,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Can I create a new VM with default installed Windows 10 version and add it as a app profiler?

If Yes, can you share any document or steps?

Thanks,
Ram

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

is this for a linked clone or instant clone desktop pool? If so just clone the parent image to a new vm and uninstall all the agents and reinstall the appvolumes agent. The idea is to make sure the provisioning machine is exactly the same as the parent image used by the desktop pool. There isn't a document I'm aware of that directly says this, the documentation hints at this, but doesn't say it outright.

Best Practices for Provisioning Virtual Machines and Applications

0 Kudos
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi sjesse,

I am not sure if this is a cloned from a parent image or a individual install.

My Parent PC has Win 10 Pro with few applications installed.

Is it ok if I can create a new VM with app volume agent installed to provision needed applications via app stack?

If I create a new VM for app profiler, then will that impact my existing app stack applications for using inside VDI?

Thanks,

Ram

0 Kudos
jonathanjabez
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is it ok if I can create a new VM with app volume agent installed to provision needed applications via app stack? Yes, you can create a new VM with plain vanilla Windows image an install only the app volume agent to prepare the machine as an app capture. Remember to create a snapshot (Pre-capture) before you start using this machine to capture applications. This will help you to revert the snapshot to go to its previous state and redo the capturing process again.

If I create a new VM for app profiler, then will that impact my existing app stack applications for using inside VDI? New image with UEM application profiler will not impact existing appstack applications. It is going to help you to create new application configs for the new applications which you are going to install on the profiler machine.

0 Kudos
RoderikdeBlock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

At the project I am currently working at every packager has his own packaging VM with the following snapshots:

pastedImage_0.png

- Clean Image = Image with apps installed on base image

- App Volumes = App Volumes Agent installed

- ThinApp = ThinApp software installed

- Packaging = contains the Application Profiler

Roderik de Block

Blog: https://roderikdeblock.com
0 Kudos
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Do you have any documentation on setting up a App Profiler VM ?

A VM with a clean installation of Win 10 with agent installed enough to deploy applications via app stack?

Thanks,
Ram

0 Kudos
RoderikdeBlock
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No agents have to be installed on this VM. Only Application Profiler and the application that you want to profile!

Roderik de Block

Blog: https://roderikdeblock.com
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

As I mentioned a clone of the parent image is the best, but a vm with just the appvolumes agent will work. You can also add the dem profiler as well, I've done that for awhile with no ill effects. The only issue with putting the profiler in a build machine is if you try to capture the DEM management console it fails because the profiler and the dem profiler can't be installed together.

If you do a new vm to use with capturing applications, and use it with a virtual desktop you may run into problems because the internal ids are different.I really suggest at least reading these

Mastering App Volumes | VMware

Working with AppStacks

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Its ok to have those apps on the cloned parent machine, as long as your not trying to modify those as well.

0 Kudos