VMware Horizon Community
Cloneranger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Anyone used the clearcube kit with ESX/VDI?

a new vender is pushing the clearcube blades/terminals for VDI,

anyone on here used them?

what are your thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are not (Or will Never) running VDI with our clear cube blade PC's, but just direct connect each one with a C-Port.

We have about 280 ClearCubes spread over 6 data closets. They been in place for close to 3 years and we desperately want to yank them out.

The closets get super hot and they end up burning themselves out.

They're very expensive.

The warranty is very expensive.

Not only do the actually blades burn out / break, but the CPorts and power supplies break too. We, also replace the fans in the back of the cages very often.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
epping
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

i had a brief look at this solution and it makes no sense at all if u want to do vdi, the clear cube boxes are just powerfull pc's so u will be limited to to how many vms you can run on them (esx is not cheap), i would go for enterprise servers/blades from a market leader ibm/hp etc etc

there is also conectivity issues connecting to SAN, that is a requirement.

clear cubes offering i think is for traders, people how require max performance but for security reasons want all there data in the data centre.

just my opinon

mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I must agree with Andy here. I don't know the details of the Clearcube offering but my impression is that they are coming from the blade PC market and are trying to adapt what they have in the context of VDI (simply because the 1 blade per user is not good for everyone give the associated costs ......).

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are not (Or will Never) running VDI with our clear cube blade PC's, but just direct connect each one with a C-Port.

We have about 280 ClearCubes spread over 6 data closets. They been in place for close to 3 years and we desperately want to yank them out.

The closets get super hot and they end up burning themselves out.

They're very expensive.

The warranty is very expensive.

Not only do the actually blades burn out / break, but the CPorts and power supplies break too. We, also replace the fans in the back of the cages very often.

0 Kudos
Cloneranger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Cheers dude,

I will wait for HP stuff to hit the UK instead,

We are an HP shop anyhow so its all good.

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

We looked at them, but it made precious little sense. Actually, we had looked at vmware server and esx, and were talking to clearcube and during a meeting where they were discussing that their new "high power" model would support more than 4 sessions, I commented that if they would simply use a stronger server model and put esx on it, along with a boatload of ram, it would make it much more financially feasible. We went to the drawing board after that and basically thought up a vdi type solution. Then there started to be rumours here on the board and next thing you know apparently vmware had already been working on the concept. So we bought an ELA and haven't looked back. No way I would do clearcube. No density, no enterprise connectivity, and hundreds of hard drives(the desktop variety--ugh!). No thanks. I'll take my blade centers connected to a decent san anyday.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos