VMware Horizon Community
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone ever ran into this.....?

I have an issue with one of my VDI user that connects in from there home Vista PC using our Juniper SSL appliance (Creates a secure RDP to their assigned XP session).

The only way I can get their USB home printer to work (XP VDI box to recognize their home printer) is if I have them install a duplicate printer on their home PC. After they have two printers installed on their Vista box, login and get connected to their XP session, go to add printer wizard, it then shows up as: TS0001 (Computer Name), they select that, select the correct driver and their home printer is working. If they only have one printer loaded on their Vista box then it just says: TS0001 (Inactive TS Port) on their XP VDI session and there isn’t a way to attach.

I also have a Vista box at home with a Cannon printer installed and another old printer just loaded so I connected to an exact replica of her session, went to the XP add printer wizard, and sure enough it list my home printer: TS0001 (Computer Name), I load the correct driver and I printed at home fine. So I then deleted my Cannon printer from the VDI session and logged off, deleted all of the printers on my home PC, rebooted, loaded just my Cannon back, logged into my VDI session, went to the add printer wizard and it just lists: TS0001 (Inactive TS Port). So again, I logoff of the VDI session, load a second printer on my home vista box, log back on to my VDI session, add printer wizard, and sure enough it see my home printer again.

I’ve done this about 10 times now and it seems the only way for my XP VDI session to see my USB home printer is to have a second printer (of any kind, USB,COM,LPT1) just sitting doing nothing.

I’ve done a ton of reading and can’t find an answer. I also tried this from my home XP box and it also needs two printers installed before my VDI session will see my Cannon printer.

Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions? Does anyone have users that have Vista and connect USB local printers?

Thanks

Message was edited by:

heybuzzz

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mreferre
Champion
Champion

Not sure if this is the same problem but I came across something similar:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=503285

Further tests showed that when this occurs I can only map n-1 printers into my rdp session. For example:

1 printer defined locally -> 0 mapped into the session

2 printers defined locally -> 1 mapped into the session

3 printers ........................ -> 2 mapped ........................

etc etc

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What juniper box is this? Our Netscreen 1000 dosnt support Vista apparently.

Dan

0 Kudos
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Massimo: You're example was great. That is exactly what is happening.

I tested this am from a remote XP box and the same thing happens. I need two printers loaded locally for my XP VDI session to pick up one. The only difference is that my XP VDI session auto detects my local XP printers on login.

daniel_uk: SA 4000 Running 5.5R2 , patched for Vista and MAC.

I'm going to try upgrading the RDP session on my XP VDI session and then try from my Vista box. Just a shot in the dark....

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

Massimo: You're example was great. That is exactly what is happening

Yeah ... we just need to find a solution now .... 😕 Smiley Happy

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, I upgraded the RDP on my XP VDI session and it didn't help. So I actually built a new XP image and connected to it in the same way as before with a Vista and XP PC. It now allows me to only have 1 printer installed on either platform and my NEW XP VDI session will recognize it through the add printer wizard. So it won't auto detect, but atleast I won't need them to install a copy of their home printer to finnaly install it.

So here's whats weird. If I have more then one printer loaded on either my Vista or XP PC, my new XP VDI session auto detects anything after the 1st and it just shows up as an avalaible printer. I can then load the default from the local box TS0001 (Computer Name) and see everything....weird It's like I went from nothing to everything.

I would still like to know why the 1st printer won't auto detect like number 2,3 or even 4 but I'll take this for now.

I wish I could just tell them NO local printing, but it's not an option.

0 Kudos