VMware Horizon Community
rhilim
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone else using VDI

We are in the currently pilot testing VDI and are looking for others that may be using this technology, or planning to use this technology.

We are currently testing several different WYSE thin clients, and are having some A/V issues using them.

1.) Video playback seems choppy from a WYSE box, but not from a PC type device

2.) Audio at times seems choppy, or it seems to be delayed and play back at a faster rate and higher pitch

3.) We have also experienced some "video artifacting", where the screen does not refresh and leaves black boxes where windows used to be.

These are just some of the hurdles we are facing, wondering if anyone else has come across these, if so what was done?

Like I said previously, when the RDP session is launched from a PC all seems fine performance wise, but when launched from a WYSE box we see these issues. Might be worth mentioning that while this is happening, the server shows no signs of stress which leads me to believe that there are limitations with thin clients.

The thin clients have noticed the issues on are:

WYSE V30

WYSE V90

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas.

Rusty Hilim

0 Kudos
4 Replies
srnovak
Contributor
Contributor

I would be interested in how your testing of VDI has gone. We are starting to look at VDI in our infrastructure now that we have gone thru our initial server consolidation to VM's. We primarily use MS terminal services now, but are looking at solutions for our 50-75 PC users that we still have in our various offices, and have just started to read documentation and view ideas on VDI. Any comments would be helpful.

I do have some comments on your 3rd point of the video artifacting. We currently use Wyse S30's for our primary terminal services clients. We've had this issue with them, and with the help of Wyse support have narrowed it down to the RDP version being used on the winterm. Since the older versions of RDP are not on Wyse's public download site our Wyse technical advisor gave us the direct links to download the older versions. You may go that route.

0 Kudos
Hector_Delgado
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having a similar problem, not sure that it relates to our Terminal Server which is a VM but here it goes. When we are using Wyse V10Ls in our main location sound is perfect in a terminal server session. Take the same Wyse to a remote location connected via private (full 1.5) T-1 line and the sound is choppy and delayed. Sound in the terminal session in the remote location on a laptop is right as rain. Same web application in the remote location on the Wyse when published and using ICA is also fine. Both our citrix servers are also VM's.

I even rate limited a port down to 1mbps in the main location and it's still fine so I'd like to rule out bandwidth and VM but continue to suspect something with the T-1.

Any Ideas?

Hector

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to a more appropiate forum to gain a greater audience.

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
shepnasty
Contributor
Contributor

We are running into the same issue you had on #3. In our VDI environment we are experiencing black boxes. It seems to happen after users are connecting to a CITRIX fed application. The black boxes do not occur when we connect with a PC. Were you able to find a solution to the black boxes?

0 Kudos