VMware Horizon Community
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Any way to push out files (not apps) to non persistent floating desktops?

Hello:

We are currently running a pilot to replace our training labs, with non persistent floating pool desktops.  Currently we are trying to find a way to deploy just a folder of files, to the end users Desktop folder.  I've tried to look at using Thinapp, but that seems to only work if there are executable files.  In our case we simply have a folder of Excel & Word files that we wish to have on every desktop in the pool.  Is there any way to do this, without having to use a 3rd party solution?  I've been looking at possible ways to do this, but so far I've only found ways to do this with the Windows profile of the users.  This is an option, but we'd like to do this at the desktop pool level instead.  Basically, the same way as Thinapp works but simply copy or sync files rather than install apps.

Just wondering if anybody else has found a way to do this.  Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
klinden
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would probably put the files in the image like the 2nd post mentioned. Another option would be to use some sort of start up script to copy them from a network share. Have you looked at app volumes?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You could put the files/folders in the C:\users\public\desktop folder on the image and then recompose the pool.   That should produce desktops with the files in place for you.

0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I would just create a GPO and deploy your files that way.  You can modify it anytime without having to go through a recompose.

szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thank you for the replies.  Yes, that is definitely one option, we were hoping to do this at the pool level however, and not in AD/GPO.  It sounds like it's not possible to do directly in View but that's why I wanted to check and make sure we were not missing anything. Thanks

0 Kudos
SARAVANAN_O
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can try via GPO

0 Kudos
klinden
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would probably put the files in the image like the 2nd post mentioned. Another option would be to use some sort of start up script to copy them from a network share. Have you looked at app volumes?

0 Kudos
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply.  In our case we're trying to decouple the files from our golden master image, so that we are not stuck recomposing when we have to update the files.  We have not looked at App Volumes yet, but I see that it might be able to deploy files so we will look at that next.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
dwigz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There is no inherent function in View to provide what you are looking for.  You could possible use the post customization script space to add a custom script that maps the desktop shell folder to a share or that does a copy to the desktop.  Personally, I would stick with Group Policy.  I imagine you have a GPO that is already managing PCoIP, agent settings, etc.  I would just leverage that.  Good luck.

0 Kudos