VMware Horizon Community
Dongjianhua
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Antivirus solution for horizon view 7 ?

Good morning,

Can i know what is the best antivirus solution for horizon view 7 desktop?  Installing antivirus software in every desktop VM or choose a non-agent solution(something like Trend-Micro deep-security and Macfee Move) ?

Does vSphere still support VCNS(vShield Endpoint)  ?  I hate NSX...

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ALEX_TSM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello, in my opinion the best way is using something like McAfee MOVE AV for Virtual Desktops with include the light agent on VM.

Some Agentless solutions, as I known, have the really horrible limitation - thay cannot scan a network path because of vmware limitations.

So, keep in mind, if you use folder redirection or map some network share - you can be injured.

Of course there are some paths to prevent it. You can protect your file server or event install an antivirus software version to protect your hardware storage. But, it needs more licenses and it is complex.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ALEX_TSM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello, in my opinion the best way is using something like McAfee MOVE AV for Virtual Desktops with include the light agent on VM.

Some Agentless solutions, as I known, have the really horrible limitation - thay cannot scan a network path because of vmware limitations.

So, keep in mind, if you use folder redirection or map some network share - you can be injured.

Of course there are some paths to prevent it. You can protect your file server or event install an antivirus software version to protect your hardware storage. But, it needs more licenses and it is complex.

0 Kudos
Dongjianhua
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DavidPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have a look at DELL Threat Defence Data Security | Dell United States, we have been using this product on vdi services with positive results.

0 Kudos
dineshgoundar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We had McAfee MOVE AV and found it not reliable. It was not able to detect viruses in multiple occasions. McAfee MOVE support wasn't able to assist either, saying they don't have signatures for viruses that were at times out for few weeks. So test it thoroughly. We have moved to SentinelOne (it has its own issues) for now.

0 Kudos
epa80
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would highly recommend Deep Security by Trend Micro. We moved to it several years ago (off of SEP) and it's been nothing but a success for us.

We were installing SEP in our base image and it was absolutely crushing our environment. The move to a host based system like DS has been like night and day for our user experience. There support has always been top of the line for us, no complaints whatsoever.

If I'm not mistaken, support for vShield ended actually in March. We are still using it, the latest version, but will shortly be moving to NSX.

Dongjianhua
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are using TrendMicro in vSphere environment, but the problem is, some VM's always need manual activiation when they move to  another server, the new deployed VM's also have the same issue, the auto activiation policy does not always work,  this is not acceptable in VDI environment.

0 Kudos
epa80
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Not too sure why you're experiencing that. We have a policy in place that activates a VM 10 minutes after creation. If it is then vmotioned to another host, as long as that host is protected with a DSVA, the VM remains activated. These are Windows 7 VMs or some other OS?

0 Kudos
epa80
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

For reference, this is how our activation policy works for newly created VMs. Again, if a VM is moved, if it's already activated and the destination host is protected, it should remain activated. I would say this policy works 99.9% of the time.

We assigned the policy of Windows Anti-Malware, vs. the more specific Windows 7 one, because we use vShield still and not NSX.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos