VMware Horizon Community
ThePielander
Contributor
Contributor

Antivirus on View Servers

Hi

We are under pressure to install antivirus on our View servers.  I have found some documentation on AV for the VDI clients but what about the View servers themselves?  I'm trying to find some 'official' guidelines along with a list of file or folder exclusions (if necessary).  Does anyone else have AV installed on their View servers or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

3 Replies
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

Welcome to VMTN !!!

Here is the link for you to get started - https://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/15002-102-3-18551/3496_VMW_11Q1_WP_Se...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
danh2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We use Trend Micro Officescan.  Works well in our environment.

Thanks, Dan
0 Kudos
InTheZone
Contributor
Contributor

You'll want to use a version that is "VM aware" in that it will randomize scan times to distribute the I/O load over time. Otherwise, it could bring your storage system to its knees depending on how many desktops you're running. Trend Micro's OfficeScan was one of the first AV packages to do this. Trend Micro was the very first to integrate with the VSAFE API (or whatever it's called now) to allow real-time scanning in the hypervisor rather than the guest so you only scan data once per host rather than scan it on every single desktop as it arrives. Of course, their Deep Security product is required for that capability, which is a lot more money. Several versions ago it was a jumbled mess of poorly integrated apps that had been acquired from other companies. Very ugly. Having seen a demo of it about a year ago now, it looked like it had matured significantly at that time so it may well be worth the effort to review if you're looking for that kind of functionality.

0 Kudos