VMware Horizon Community
Navar
Contributor
Contributor

Anti-Virus Recommendation for VDI

This is always a hot topic.

Lets say that money is no object and you have over 400 DVIs

Which anti-virus solutions would you buy protect your VDis.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
amr12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We use TrendMicro Deep Security agentless protection and have had no problems.  I think Sophos also has something similar.

Virtualization Security - Server Virtualization - Deep Security - Trend Micro USA

EDIT: We have over 500 virtual desktops.

0 Kudos
vTimD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We currently use Symantec for 500+ VDI. The footprint is awful. I would rather go agentless with something like BitDefender or Trend Micro.

-vTimD http://www.vtimd.com If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
childebrandt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We currently use TrendMicro Deep Security. I would have to say that its interface is amazing. But the function of it have been way sub-par in a VDI environment. I don't know what features AMR12 is using but the core Anti-Malware piece works fine. You will have to fix some things from time to time, and requires minimal maintenance. But when you start deploying Web Reputation, Firewall, and Intrusion Prevention things start going south quick. At this point it becomes a full time job to administer Deep Security. You will run into many odd issues with this and have a huge learning curve to make this function as a well oiled machine, but once you get it how you like an update will hit and you start this all over again. And say your prayers when a Deep Security patch comes through you have a 10% of things working smooth, and a 90% of WWIII happening in your VDI environment.

Our intentions right now are to switch to something different mid 2016. We have been looking at Bitdefender, and Kaspersky. Both have a light agent that will allow you to scan disk, and memory instead of memory alone as with agentless solutions. To me Kaspersky has a better product but has a some what archaic "Single Pane of Glass" but the functions work well. Bitdefender is a more clean look and functions well. I look forward to start doing some more testing with them booth to see what fits our needs the best.

Also I might say that TrendMicro is about 3 times the cost of Bitdefender or Kaspersky.

@childebrandt42
0 Kudos