VMware Horizon Community
goody3335
Contributor
Contributor

Already Used error

I have a View 4.7 environment.  When my users switch from our wired network to the wireless while still logged in to a desktop, it gives an error that says "already used" but doesn't remove it.  I was wondering if there's a way to set it up so that it just reprovisions a new desktop.  Perhaps there is something in Orchestrator I should look for.  Just looking for ideas...

Thanks!

Lauren

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Here is a KB article on the already used error, http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1000590.  

0 Kudos
goody3335
Contributor
Contributor

So, that basically tells me that I need to go in and manually re-provision.  Anyone know of an automated way?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

From the way I understand the article the issue is the result of having the option to refresh or delete desktop enabled and then having a user reset the desktop or restart it. If that’s the case if you can remove the option to reset the desktop and also the restart option from Windows OS you could avoid the Already Used message.

Per the article if you already have the already used message you have to refresh or recompose from the Admin interface.

0 Kudos
goody3335
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I need it to refresh/delete, though.  So, it doesn't really help me.  I'm using non-persistent desktops and need a clean slate every time.  Thanks for your help, though!

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I wasn't impling that you should disable that.  What I meant was that if you wish to continue to refresh/delete after every use you should remove the end user's ability to restart the machine or disable the option to reset the machine in View.   The article implies that this is what causes the "Already Used message"  and by avoiding that refresh and delete task should complete successfully. 

0 Kudos
goody3335
Contributor
Contributor

I see what you're saying now.  Unfortunately, that is already set to no...and grayed out (I imagine because they aren't persistent, but not sure).  So, that doesn't seem to help the issue I'm having.

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

Hi,

I guess the problem you face is that,

When users switch between network, desktop sessions get disconnected, and view lists them as 'already used' preventing further connections. And refresh doesn't happen since user is still logged in to desktop.

What if you set the pool policy to 'logoff immediatly after disconnect' which makes sure user session ends and vm gets recycled.?

Regards

-nObLe
0 Kudos
goody3335
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, npeter.  I thought you might be on to something, but unfortunately it is already set to logoff immediately after disconnect.

0 Kudos
Maxj8
Contributor
Contributor

I've the same problem in a non persistent pool of 100 VMs.

I've used GPO to deny reset/shutdown and force the only "Log off" option in Start menu and seems to works, but I can find at least 3-4 VMs in Already used Staus every day.

If I don't manually delete them in a few days the pool became useless cause all VM are in Already Used status and no VM is available.

Any siggestion to automatically delete/refresh useless 'Already Used' status VM?

0 Kudos