VMware Horizon Community
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

After recompose cannot connect to desktops from external

Hi. I have a client with the following issue. They are running View 4.6. Everything has been working fine for them for a few months. They have an internal connection server for internal connections and an external security server paired with another connection server for external access.

Interal and external connections to desktop pools has been working fine for months. Last evening they updated a parent image (Microsoft and application updates) and performed a recompose on the pool. Today, only internal users are able to get a desktop from the pool. External users can authenticate and get the choice of what pool they are entitled to and can select. When they select the updated pool they recieve, 'The desktop is not available' (see attachment).

The odd thing is that these same external users CAN successfully connect to a different pool - so there's nothing wrong with connectivity through the security server (i.e. firewall rules, etc). Keep in mind that internal users have no issues connecting to this updated pool.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

Look for a "tag" it sounds like they may have put something in the tag field on that specific pool.  They may have thought the tag field is a description field.  I've seen something like this before.

Gunnar Berger

Gunnar Berger http://www.gunnarberger.com http://www.endusercomputing.com
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The Tag option would block the pool from being selected at all.   The desktop not available option is something like the agent isn't communicating properly.    Maybe a firewall issue inside the VM or something of that nature.   What protocol are you connecting with?

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi guys.Thanks for the replies. The thing is that internal users can get to this pool with no issues. Therefore, the agent has to be working properly, right? The external users are able to get to another pool without issue, so there's nothing wrong with edge firewall rules (i.e. rule blocking agent communication).

I tried connecting with both RDP and then PCoIP and get the same error for both. The View Event Viewer shows the external user getting allocated a desktop from the pool, the agent on the virtual desktop accepting an allocated session for the authenticated user and finally the error, 'unable to launch from pool XXX for user xxx\xxx:failed to connect to machine using [protocol].

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Can you RDP into one of the machines from the security server?    The other pools that people are able to access from external share the same VLAN/IP Scheme with the pool that cannot be accessed externally?

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've left a message with the client to try and RDP from the security server to on of the desktops. The other pool was created after I performed work for them so I'm not certain if it's in a different VLAN - but I think it is.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If it's in a different VLAN it may be as simple as giving that IP range the same firewall rules as the other pools.  

0 Kudos