VMware Horizon Community
ecollett
Contributor
Contributor

Advanced usage of Local Mode: Can I take advantage of a high end GPU when using a checked out machine?

I'm helping to implement a potential View 4.5 solution that would allow for an engineer using a "real-time" applications such as a CAD/CAM to be able to check-out their View Desktop then run that View Desktop locally so that they could take advantage of the high end GPU that is installed on it.

The connection to the View Manager/Server core is going to be plagued with both latency and WAN quality issues and this seems to be the best way to allow for a real-time application to run as fast as they need it to. The only question is the video support for that activity... If Local Mode is akin to VMPlayer, will it allow me to utilize the GPU to accelerate the application being used?

I know it is kind of a pie-in-the-sky idea, but it would really help to know if it is possible. Any thoughts on this would be helpful!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Well the Local Mode does not use the high end GPU unfortunetely but what about using the PCoIP hardware solution with VMware View. Or do oyu need offline access?

Regards,

Christoph

Don't forget to award the points if this answer was helpful for you.

Blog:

ecollett
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is, even with a PCoIP host card, I can almost guarantee that the data being transmitted is going to be going down a rough road to get to the end user. Latency, line quality and other connectivity concerns are the thing that's keeping this from moving forward. A View client running a real-time 3D modeling application is going to be very hard pressed to make it look good within the nation, much less as it goes overseas.

In any case, my hope was that local mode could leverage local hardware which meant that he could run his application on hardware that it was designed for. Plus, the application would literally be running in real-time since both the files and the on-screen information will need to be precise and instant.

Perhaps it's a good consideration for a product feature moving forward, but ... I don't think we'll be able to solve this issue today.

0 Kudos
ecollett
Contributor
Contributor

If you are still looking for a solution regarding a fully-managed physical desktop, then you should look into VMware Mirage. It has many of the benefits of View's image management technology while using the physical hardware. Great for high end physical desktop for CAD-type workstations, but also great for laptops and mobile users.

Here is a link to the product page: www.vmware.com/products/desktop_virtualization/mirage.html

0 Kudos