VMware Horizon Community
Mario_Rivas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Adobe Acrobat ThinApp

We have been struggling with creating a thinapp for Adobe Acrobat DC2015, Standard or Professional, to run on VMs running Windows 10 v2004.  Previous versions of thinapp did not support this OS version.  We had successfully built and deploy a thinapp for this software on Windows 10 v1709.

ThinApp v5.2.8 was released recently, with support for Windows 10 v2004.

We are able to successfully finish the built of the Adobe Acrobat DC2015, but, after deployed to VMs in a Horizon VDI environment, an exception window comes up, randomly, when the user tries to open the program, or a PDF file or save a file in PDF format.

Once OK is selected, the windows closes and the software runs fine.  But it is becoming an annoying issue for the user running this thinapp.

The master VM, we use to capture the install, only runs Windows 10 v2004 with the additional programs installed:

- VMware Tools

- VMware ThinApp

- Acrobat Customization Wizard DC

Both software installs, Adobe Acrobat DC and the Customization Wizard are, first, downloaded locally. 

The Customization Wizard makes the following setups

- Request Offline Exception

- Suppress display of EULA

- Unattended install

- Suppress Reboot

- Disable Product Updates

- Disable Load trusted root certificates from Adobe

- Disable all Adobe Services

Only after customizing Adobe is when we start the Capture process.

We are running Horizon v7.12.0 build-15770369, ThinApp v5.2.8

Have any of you ran into this issue?  If so, how were you able to fix it?

Thanks

Mario

5 Replies
Mario_Rivas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are now pointing the troubleshooting into the VMware OS Optimization Tool (OSOT) utility.

Previously, the Adobe Acrobat thinapp will successfully run on Windows 10 v1709 VMs that were created from a master we did not use this utility.

The VMs running Windows 10 v2004 are created from a master in which we do use the VMware OSOT.

Will update as our troubleshooting goes.

Mario

Mario_Rivas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It seems the VMware OSOT has no factor on the issue we are having,

Is interesting, what we found using the different protocols we could use to access the VM with the Horizon Client.  The issue only comes up when the VM is accessed via VMware Blast or PCoIP protocols.  If the VM is accessed via Windows RDP, no issue running the application.

We also tried accessing the VM outside the Horizon environment, RDP or VCenter and both times, the software ran fine.

This has been brought up to VMware tech support attention as all VMs are accessed, by default, using the Blast protocol, which is what they recommend. 

Mario

Mario_Rivas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I need to revert my previous comment.  The issue IS WITH VMware OSOT.  I tried a clean W10 v2004 VM, added all the programs and apps, tried the Thinapp and it worked just fine.  Once the OSOT was applied, using the template for Windows 10 1809-2004, is when the issue with Adobe Thinapp.

This has also been informed to VMware tech support and awaiting for their feedback.

vasquezu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mario_Rivas,

Any luck with Adobe on this issue? I am also having the same issue but have not found a resolution. I have attempted to ThinApp the continuous track release of Acrobat (Pro/Std) with no luck. Ive also attempted on a clean install of windows but seem to have the same issue. I am running Windows 10 LTSC 2019 (1809)

I am also curious if the Classic track works best but not sure if our license covers that install. Have you attempted this?

0 Kudos
Mario_Rivas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello vasquezu.

Finally, yesterday, VMware techsupport gave me a fix for the ThinApp Exception Error.

When building the ThinApp, on the package.ini file, add the following lines, under the "General Purpose Parameters" section:

EnableExternalHookInterception=1

ExternalDlls=libcef.dll

I did enter the above 2 lines, rebuilt the ThinApp, test it and, finally!, Adobe started without showing the Exception Error window.

Good Luck!

Mario