VMware Horizon Community
motd
Contributor
Contributor

Adjusting win10 inactivity timeout based on user

Hi All,

We had the request to use different screensaver idle timeouts for different users depending on where they were connecting from or which group they are members of.

This might be a very stupid question, but my google-fu seems to be weak today. So I am looking for some pointers in the right direction here..

The setup consists of simple Windows10 VDI desktops (non-persistent). All in their own AD OUs with loopback processing enabled. All users get the exact same policy today.

The only Windows10 configuration option that I have been able to use to set the idle timeout before the screensaver activates, is the computer-level "machine inactivity limit".

I couldn't immediately see how to alter that setting based on the user inside of a GPO. I ended up thinking about WMI filters but that seems to take us too far.

My other idea was to use UEM here. From what I can tell it should be able to change these settings based on conditions, but I also read that it is not always working.

Does anyone have this working or suggestions about what we should try?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.encyro.com/how-to-force-windows-10-to-lock-itself-after-inactivity...

This is a user policy, so you can do this either through UEM or Group Policy and filter on user group. Screensaver activation should lock the machine.

0 Kudos