VMware Horizon Community
soud
Contributor
Contributor

Adding harddisk to the exsisting users

how to extend the harddisk (i.e D drive)for the exsisting users in view 4.0 ( view composer is also installed) ??

If i edit the VM that is in the desktop and sources, it will replicate only to the new machines that are going to create and not the exsisting users....how can i do for the exsisting users

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

There have been a couple of post about this over time and I've never seen an official answer from VMware. One person tested just expanding the UDD through vCenter and then using disk part inside of the guest OS to increase it. This worked very well for them but would prove difficult to pull off in a large View deployment.

Edited to add link to post. http://communities.vmware.com/message/1439387#1439387

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Currently, you can't extend the User Data Disk of your existing linked clones. If you need a larger disk for your users you would need to extend the disks in View and deploy new VMs and then migrate your users to those new VMs.

Regards,

Mike

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

It's nice to get an official response from VMware on this. The methodology the other threads reference as working does not work or simply works and it is not supported?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The other methods should work just fine. View doesn't maintain a listing of the User Data Disks sizes so as long as the disk name/location is the same when a recompose/refresh is done it should be reattached to the VM just fine.

In fact, you could even replace the UDD VMDK entirely with a completely different one and as long as the name is the same it will still work. I have experience doing this while supporting View customers. Smiley Happy

That being said, it may not be supported if something were to go wrong with those UDDs.

Regards,

Mike

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for the validation Mike.

0 Kudos
soud
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for reply mike..

but how to migrate user???

0 Kudos