VMware Horizon Community
CraigTompkins1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding a 2nd datastore

We currently have Horizon 7.5 on Nutanix using instant clones.  My pool is using 1 datastore and currently has 1400 VMs. We have a project in place that will grow this to around 2000 VMs in the next couple months.  I know that vCenter 6.5 and 6.7 have a max limit of 2048 powered on VMs per datastore and as you can guess I'm concerned getting close to that limit.

Easy solution: Edit pool and select a 2nd datastore.

My question:  Will horizon just start putting new desktops on that 2nd datastore or will it start a storage vmotion and try to balance it out?  I'm ok with either one but if it is going to do a migration I want to add that 2nd datastore during off hours so the users don't see a performance hit.

TIA

Craig

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kishoreg5674
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you add a new datastore, a new cp-parent VM will be created on that datastore. VMs will continue to remain on the old datastore until a user logs on and then logs off or you manually remove the VM by going to the Inventory tab for the pool using the Remove button.

As the VMs get deleted and recreated on logoff, Horizon will create the replacement VM on the new datastore.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kishoreg5674
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you add a new datastore, a new cp-parent VM will be created on that datastore. VMs will continue to remain on the old datastore until a user logs on and then logs off or you manually remove the VM by going to the Inventory tab for the pool using the Remove button.

As the VMs get deleted and recreated on logoff, Horizon will create the replacement VM on the new datastore.

0 Kudos