VMware Horizon Community
davmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Active Directory OU location for Full Virtual Desktops

Hi,

We have been trying to create a pool of full virtual desktops. Within the wizard, we do not see an option to specify the Active Directory OU where the desktops would get created. When I try to create linked clones, I do see the option to specify the OU location.

To verify I checked the view 4.6 administration guide and in the worksheet for full virtual desktops they are not asking to make a note of AD OU and in the linked clone worksheet there is a mention of AD OUs.

So my question is - how do I control where my virtual desktops get created in active directory when I am creating a full virtual machines pool?

best,

-D

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Check out this thread to see if it can give you some ideas.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/148768

0 Kudos
davmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks.

That thread is indeed helpful. One thing I fail to understand is, why is there a different option for full virtual machines compared to linked clones. What is it that is preventing VMware from making the OU option present to full VMs as well?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Linked clones use quickprep to distinguish VM's and move them to a specified OU.    The Full desktops use customization specifications that take advantage of Sysprep. 

0 Kudos
davmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well within Linked clone, we used customization specs - sysprep as well and it was presenting us options for OU. Everything we are doing is identical except for linked clone changed to full vms.

0 Kudos