VMware Horizon Community
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Activating Windows with M365 License

Hello,

can someone explain if it's possible and how to activate a non-persistant Windows 10/11 Desktop if the company has M365 E3 licenses?

As I understand with an M365 E3 license, users have a Windows 10/11 VDA (Virtual Desktop Access) license. But how can I use this to activate a non-persitant  desktop? I don't have a KMS-key in that scenario.

Or does VDA only mean access to AVD (Azure Virtual Desktop)?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jhol5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The VDA docs: Configure VDA for Windows subscription activation - Windows Deployment | Microsoft Learn

but the tldr is you need to use KMS in Horizon, I don't know if you can utilize the VDA licensing in it. We don't, we just use the "standard" workstation license for VDI.

0 Kudos
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @jhol5 

thanks for you reply and the provided link.

The described scenarios 1 and 2 require Hyper-V and/or Azure and scenario 3 requires a KMS server (KMS server means you need a Volume Licensing).

So it seems that M365 licences are not valid for Horizon instant-clone desktops.

0 Kudos
lazybus
Contributor
Contributor

We just solved this by requesting KMS keys for Windows Server (purchased Open Value) from VLSC support. Windows Server licenses can activate a downlevel OS, including Windows 10.

Our VAR and distribution partners agreed this was the way to solve this gap in Microsoft's licensing plans.

Tompous
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @TomH201110141 ,

Question/Subject that I follow about 2 years ago at least...

Answer is "Theorically" it's allowed by Microsoft that even posted 6 months ago an official article explaining that the Windows 10/11 E3 licence from O365 is also valid for on-prem VDI.

But pratically it's not true since we still need a way to activate a Windows device and the O365 licence didn't provide you such key.

After searching and contacting Microsoft for years, the only solution for us (consultant IT) is to buy an Open Value licence Windows 10/11 VDA to be able to ask a KMS Key and activate the Windows 10 VDI.

TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @Tompous, thank you for your answer. 

Answer is "Theorically" it's allowed by Microsoft that even posted 6 months ago an official article explaining that the Windows 10/11 E3 licence from O365 is also valid for on-prem VDI.

Do you really mean O365 and not M365? I always thought that only M365 included a Windows licence?

After searching and contacting Microsoft for years, the only solution for us (consultant IT) is to buy an Open Value licence Windows 10/11 VDA to be able to ask a KMS Key and activate the Windows 10 VDI.

But buying Open Value licences means buying Windows licences twice when I also have M365 licences? Or can I request a KMS key for that ammount of M365 licenses the company purchased?

Also big thanks to everyone else who wants to bring light into the darkness here!!!

Thanks for all other people too

0 Kudos
lazybus
Contributor
Contributor

You are correct that you are double-purchasing when going the Open Value VDA subscription route but, in theory, a single VDA subscription comes with the KMS key. The KMS key does not have an activation limit built in so you can activate W10 with minimal extra cost.

This seems to be a technical gap in Microsoft licensing where the license guide doesn't match what the available activation tools can provide.

0 Kudos
Tompous
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @TomH201110141 

Do you really mean O365 and not M365? I always thought that only M365 included a Windows licence?

You are right, I was talking about O365 products in general not the O365 product line but I admit it's confusing 🙂 However both (O365 and M365) are managed by the same portal that do not allow any KMS key request 
--> Sell software subscriptions through CSP - Partner Center | Microsoft Learn   (search KMS, first occurence)

But buying Open Value licences means buying Windows licences twice when I also have M365 licences? Or can I request a KMS key for that ammount of M365 licenses the company purchased?

Again my answer was not super clear but as @lazybus describe in the comment above, we only buy one Windows 11 licence in Open value to gain access to a valid contract in VLSC. This allow me to request a KMS key to the Microsoft support and activate as many VDI I need in my on-prem environment.

If Microsoft make an audit, you have the O365 Windows 10/11 licenses to cover your VDI infrastructure. 

0 Kudos