VMware Horizon Community
Mach1_70
Contributor
Contributor

Accessing the Admin page on load balanced connection servers

I'm trying to load balance 2 connection servers for internal access running Horizon 8 2212 on an F5 load balancer. I am not using any UAG because those have not been approved yet. Also, I do not have direct access to the F5 (that is managed by another team), but I do manage the Horizon environment.

When accessing the desktop pools via the client it appears that the load balancer is working. I can connect fine and multiple connections show that the connections are using both connection servers.

My issue is with accessing the Admin page of the connections servers. When accessing the Admin page from the load balanced URL (i.e. myhorizon-lb.mydomain.com/admin#/login) the page loads but shows an error that the 'Page failed to load' and the domain field is blank and does not show the proper domain. So it is not possible to login to the Admin page from the load balanced URL. (See attached pic)

If I access either connection server directly (i.e: myhorizon-con-01.mydomain.com/admin#/login) then the login page displays correctly and I can login to the connection server.

Is this likely an issue with the F5 configuration or something on the connection server side?
Or is this expected behavior and the Admin page should be accessed directly on the connection servers and not through the load balanced URL?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CTRIM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What load balancer are you using? And how is it configured?

And does it really matter which URL you use?

0 Kudos
Mach1_70
Contributor
Contributor

The load balancer is an F5 using the Horizon template.

I suppose it doesn't matter which URL is used for accessing Admin, just wasn't sure if the Admin page should load normally from the load balanced URL and that the errors I'm getting are an indication of configuration errors that need to be fixed or are not critical.

0 Kudos
mrkasius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi @Mach1_70,

On the Settings page of the Connection Servers, you can enable Host Redirection and add your load balancer hostname(s) or use the locked.properties file.

For both situations, you must restart each Connection Server to ensure the load balancer hostname values take effect.

Mach1_70
Contributor
Contributor

mrkasius,

Thanks for that info. After adding the host redirection url and rebooting the servers the admin page loads without issue from the load balanced URL.

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Spoiler

@mrkasius yes, this solved the issue for me in the past.

0 Kudos
yukiafronia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think this KB would also be very useful.
Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) with Horizon 8 and loadbalanced HTML5 access. (85801)
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/85801

0 Kudos