VMware Horizon Community
JeremyV
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Accessing local drives using pcoip

Hello,

Does anyone have some suggestions on how to access local drives with the VMware View client using pcoip? Is there a way to pass the drives similar to the way the RDP protocol does it?

Thanks,

Jeremy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisKubiak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You might be able to work around it with some scripting. You can get the fat clients name from the "Volatile Environment" section of the registry on the VM, then from there you can map a drive with a logon script or such. Not ideal, but depending on your security requirements, pool type, and deployment size its a possibility.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
KSUITPRO
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was about to post the same question. We are using fat clients and they connect in to our View connection servers using PCoIP. I need to know how to map the users (on the fat client) local hard drives (which are not USB) to the virtual desktop. Since our end-users are manipulating video on the virtual desktop using RDP is not an option. Someone please share this knowledge with the community.

Thank you,

Casey

0 Kudos
mholgate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From information gathered from both VMWare support and these forums, PCoIP currently does not support redirection of IDE/SATA devices. Only USB redirection is supported right now. I'm hearing that Teradici is currently working on enhancements that will provide this support in a future release of the PCoIP protocol, but how far in the future I'm not sure.

Mike... VM, Virtually!!

Mike... VM, Virtually!!
ChrisKubiak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You might be able to work around it with some scripting. You can get the fat clients name from the "Volatile Environment" section of the registry on the VM, then from there you can map a drive with a logon script or such. Not ideal, but depending on your security requirements, pool type, and deployment size its a possibility.

0 Kudos
ChrisKubiak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
JeremyV
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You're right. I was able to grab the fat client name from the HKCU\Volatile Environment registry key and map the drive. That should work just fine for us. Hopefully we'll see some type of IDE/SATA pass through feature in the near future for PCoIP.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
btdrew
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Jeremy, how did you do this? I'm in the same situation right now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
JeremyV
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I ended up using a logon script that reads the IP address from the registry. Here's the value I read:

ViewClient_Broker_Remote_IP_Address value under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Volatile Environment

Once I have the IP address I map a drive to it. I was able to do this pretty easy with Vista, but Windows 7 gave me some grief. I was able to get Windows 7 to work after adjusting a registry value.

I am using a KiX script to do this (could do with group policy with out much hassle). Here's a piece of my KiX script:

If InGroup("VMware View")

$IPAddress = ReadValue ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Volatile Environment", "ViewClient_Broker_Remote_IP_Address")

If @ERROR = 0

Use I: "
" + $IPAddress + "\c$"

EndIf

I hope this points you in the right direction, if you need some more information let me know.

Thanks,

Jeremy

0 Kudos
btdrew
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

that is so cool. I'll give it a try. much thanks!

0 Kudos
chihab
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi JeremyV,

i tried to execute the script manually first at the command prompt in my virtual session (Windows7-64bits)- horizon view 6, i got this error message :

error : error in USE statement

Script : P:\kix\local.kix

Line : 6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

local.kix script :

If InGroup("GDP-TeletravailVMView-AME01")

$IPAddress = ReadValue ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Volatile Environment", "ViewClient_Broker_Remote_IP_Address")

If @ERROR = 0

Use O: "

" + $IPAddress + "\c$"

EndIf

what is wrong with this ????

many thanks

0 Kudos