VMware Horizon Community
Mario_Rivas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Accessing VDI through Chromebook and sharing screen in Teams

Hello, just recently, users accessing their VM, through a ChromeBook, are not able to share the desktop screen in Teams. They can make calls, with sound and video, but they only get the option to share PowerPoint, not their Desktop.

We run a VMware 7.0 environment with Horizon 7.12, WIndows 10 v2004 and Teams 1.3.0.28779.

We have noticed this change in the last 2-3 weeks.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Thanks

Mario

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jutianzheng
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I was wondering whether you are using VMware Teams optimization(open Teams client, click the avatar on the right top corner and click About, if you can see "VMware Media Optimized", then that means you are using VMware Teams optimization).

If you are using VMware Teams optimization, screen share is not supported for Chromebook client yet, the desktop cannot be shared is expected behavior. 

If you are NOT using VMware Teams optimization, this might be a Microsoft Teams problem, try to update the Teams client.

0 Kudos
Mario_Rivas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jutianzheng

Yes, that is the message the Chromebook user gets when it selects About, in MS Teams.  I also found out that the option "Media Optimization for Microsoft Teams" is enabled, by default, on the newest versions of VMware Horizon Client.  I do have it enabled on my laptop, which is running Horizon Client v5.5.1.  The Chromebook user has Horizon Client 5.5.0, which most likely is running also with that option enabled.

We will try, re-installing the client on the Chromebook and make sure to disabled that option.  Will update this discussion with the results.

Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
Mario_Rivas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi jutianzheng.

By the way, can the Media Optimization for Microsoft Teams, feature, be disabled on the Horizon Client for Chromebook?  I found a way to do it on the client for Windows, at the install process.  Have not found a way on the client for Chromebook.

Thanks

Mario

0 Kudos
jutianzheng
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mario,

There is no customize button for Chromebook client as that for Windows client, so there is no way to uncheck "webrtc media optimization". I think you might disable the Teams optimization policy on the agent side instead.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\VMware, Inc.\VMware WebRTCRedir]
"teamsEnabled"=dword:00000000

Then you won't see the "Media optimization" when clicking Teams avatar- About, Teams optimization will not work.

0 Kudos
Mario_Rivas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi jutianzheng

Thanks for your suggestion.  We are currently testing it and will update this discussion with the results.

Mario

0 Kudos