VMware Horizon Community
tomtom1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Accessing VDI Vm via a browser?

Is it possible for the users to access their VDI VM's via a web browser? The problem here is - Let say the user who has VDI VM goes to some other user's desk and he wants to access his VM via web browser and he does not wants to install the VDI Client. Can he do that ?

I have vdm 2.1

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Remote desktop works really well. Just have them use that to remote into the machine. Most if not all Windows based computers have it already installed. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sorry forgot, also if you dont want to enable remote desktop install VNC and in the configs you can confgure web access which will use java to remote into the computer.

0 Kudos
tomtom1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for your post. These users are not at all technical. So expecting them to use RDP is not possible. I was thinking the best way can be a web browserMay be they can go to some kind of web browser and connect to they VDI VM. Not sure if this is possible OR not.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you setup Ultra VNC on the VM and enable the web version, what you can do them is if you go to http://computername:5900 it will prompt you for the vnc password and then bring up your computer. The port may vary depending on what you set. That may also be to much for your users but thought I would throw it out there.

0 Kudos
tomtom1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your answer. But still my manager is not happy with this solution. I know it is kind of difficult to convince them Smiley Happy

He wants that the moment they authenticate to the VDM broker via web acess. Their Vms should open in the browser.

He says he cannot expect the user to remember a port number Smiley Sad

Thanks for your help

tom

0 Kudos
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thats unfortunate. I thought about it for a while and nothing grand came to me but if you set the port number to 80 then that maybe better. Also I think you can put the VDI client on a thumb drive. Just more ideas hoping to find something that helps.

0 Kudos
Andr3y
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This only a rought idea, but if you have good coding skills should be possible.

View Client using XML API (VDM should be very similar) to get the settings and connection.In this XML file will be a line with FQDN's of each assigned desktop, so if you can write a script which will query the VDM broker and then take this DNS name and list on your website.

Once listed, each line would contain another script which will launch RDP client, so it will execute something like this :

"mstsc /v QueriedDNSName".

So your users don't need to remember anything.

This should work with no problem if you know how to query VDM API Smiley Happy

To get some guidance, disable SSL on your VDM server, install Wireshark on PC with VDM client and do capture of getting list of desktops process, one of the packets will be simply XML packet with list of all desktops and settings, very easy too read.

p.s. you could also use one of the suggestions above and simply use RDP client, but instead of IP address, assign host A entry for users VM's, e.g. Paul's desktop 192.168.1.89 will have DNS name Paul. So when Paul launches RDP client all he requires to type in is Paul then his username and password

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Andr3y

0 Kudos
pwilson2005
Contributor
Contributor

I believe that you can access the pools you are entitled to by typing in the the ip address of your connection server.

0 Kudos
majdiharoun
Contributor
Contributor

In short you can ThinApp the View Client and have its signed and hosted on a web server (for HTTP URL access). when the user clicks on the link it runs the ThinApp (no install).

Let me know if you need me to elaborate.

0 Kudos