VMware Horizon Community
essisim
Contributor
Contributor

Access local disk from vmware view session?

How is it that this is not possible with PCOIP?

I did some testing from a Mac-client, and using this small change in the vmware-view.rdp file I managed to see the local disks when I connected to View. Though this is via RDP....

1. (Open the vmware-view.rdp file in a text editor and edit the entry for DriveRedirectionMode, changing its value from 0 to 1.)

Even though this works, it is not exactly easy to implement to our users sitting home with their Macs, and at the same time forcing them to use RDP.

And what if you connect with a windows machine to View? Are you able to edit an RDP-setting in the same way as a Mac?

Has anyone been able to make this work using PCOIP? I`ve googled around for a couple of hours today, but found no viable solutions..

I`m sure vmware has a good reason for why it`s not working, but I have to admit I am a bit dissapointed by this, seeing as mapping the local c-drive works perfect on a 7 year old Citrix solution..

Any input / solutions would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply
mpryor
Commander
Commander

There is no current implementation of drive redirection in combination with PCoIP, the closest you have today is USB redirection of a thumb drive or similar or (inside a trusted network) auto-mapping file shares via a script. Smaller data can also be copied via clipboard redirection. It's an asked for feature but hasn't had priority over other functionality such as Lync integration, RTAV, etc. as the majority of VDI implementations treat the client connection as their real desktop - the client is just meant to be the access device.

Mike