VMware Horizon Community
TelHai_IT
Contributor
Contributor

A strange zoom phenomenon

I Hope this is the right place to ask this question, if not I apologize in advance

We have VDI virtual machines with WINDOWS 10, some computers are PC with VMWARE HORIZON client and some with ZERO CLIENTS and some with WINDOWS 10 PC

We encountering a strange and annoying phenomenon in zoom sessions, when a VDI user activates a USB camera, his bandwidth consumption is suffocated and he makes all the participants in the session sound robotic, fragmented and sometimes completely disables the hearing and viewing of all the participants in the session and not only to himself but even to those who do not using VDI

Anyone know a solution to the problem?

Thanks in advance to the experts

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@TelHai_IT 

Moderator: Moved to Horizon Desktops and Apps

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Since you mentioned different types of client(Horizon client and Zero client) being used, do you know what client is causing the phenomenon? I mean if only one type of client is in the picture does the phenomenon happen? My theory is that two clients are using different technologies in terms of supporting webcam so that it could make a difference. Let me know.

0 Kudos
TelHai_IT
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much OFOX for a quick response!
I will try to explain the situation in the most abstract way I can,
Zoom meetings are mixed with participants in and out of the domain network ,
VDI DESKTOP CLIENTS, ZERO CLIENTS, STRATODESK CLIENTS and DESKTOP PCs without VDI and even cellphone users.
When various VDI users turn on a usb camera and even just one of them they cause the above malfunction to everyone including everyone.
When the same VDI user who turned on the camera disables the USB REDIRECTION it calms the network and everyone can function properly
The problem is that ZERO and STRATODESK users cannot disable REDIRECTION without completely disabling USB connections

I am looking for a solution that will allow them to function without canceling REDIRECTION because logistically I must allow them to work with existing platforms

SOS 🙂

0 Kudos
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

TelHai_IT,

That's exactly what I was suspecting. USB redirection for webcam on Zero clients eat lots of network bandwidth, which might be the cause of the phenomenon, but it's by nature. Horizon client has RTAV technology which exactly addresses the use case of webcam and microphone so that it has much better performance in terms of network as well as user experience. Since Zero client runs its own software inside made by the vendor(Teradici?) therefore it does not support Horizon RTAV. You might have to check with Zero client vendor on whether there's any solution.

I'm not quite familiar with Stratodesk client though.

0 Kudos