VMware Horizon Community
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A few more questions

Hi,

I have 4 questions

Just wondering what NIC everyone is using for their View desktops? My current view environment was setup by someone else and they are using the Flexible adaptor. All our hosts are vSphere 4.1, so I'm assuming the e1000 would be the better choice, possibly the vmxnet3? What's the best option? I'm planning to upgrade our license to premier and setup composer, not sure if that makes a difference

What's everyones thought on upgrading from View 4.5 to View 4.6? I currently am not using a security server, as we are using SSL VPN to grant access to View Desktops remotely, but may eventually want to implement a security server. I'm just curious if there are benefits to upgrading to View 4.6 before installing Composer.

For the Parent VM, are you guys/ladies using thick or thin provisioning?

My final question is, I'm planning to setup some XM and Win 7(32bit) desktops, I plan to give the XP 1GB of ram and Win 7 2GB. For the page file, in the View documentation, it says to make the page file the same as the amount of physical ram, but I have read blogs and articles online where most people are putting the page file as 512MB?

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate the help as always,

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1:     I use the vmxnet3 whenever possible

2:     Since the versions utilize two different versions of Composer I would upgrade to View 4.6 and then setup composer.

3:     I use thin provisioning and then the replicas are thin provisioned by default

4:     I think whatever works best for you as far as the page file is conerned.   Some things like to make sure of the page file no matter what so it's alway nice to have some available.    Maybe stick with what the documentation recommends, monitor the usage, and then determine if you can drop it down.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1:     I use the vmxnet3 whenever possible

2:     Since the versions utilize two different versions of Composer I would upgrade to View 4.6 and then setup composer.

3:     I use thin provisioning and then the replicas are thin provisioned by default

4:     I think whatever works best for you as far as the page file is conerned.   Some things like to make sure of the page file no matter what so it's alway nice to have some available.    Maybe stick with what the documentation recommends, monitor the usage, and then determine if you can drop it down.

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

mittim,

You are fast!

Are you using thin provisioning from vSphere or from your storage array?

As far as 4.6, I guess my question is, are there enough benefits to upgrading, or should I just stick with 4.5 for now?

Thanks for the speedy reply

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The little bit of thin provisioning we do comes from vSphere.    As far as the upgrade the biggest change is the PCOIP protocol is available through the security server.   I think for that alone is a good enough reason for most people to upgrade.    There are alsoa bout 160 bug fixes included in 4.6 so that would be helpful too.    Check out the release notes for specifics.

http://www.vmware.com/support/view46/doc/view-46-release-notes.html

VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No problem at all.   Let us know if you run into any issues with the 4.6 upgrade.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Twitter: http://twitter.com/mittim12