VMware Horizon Community
Bit101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A Horizon Lab för a decent money?

Have started studying VMware Horizon. Right now Im just a regular student wondering if there is any cloud
provider where I can build all the server resources required for a Lab, for a decent money?

I belive I need to set  up these components:

vCenter

ESXi

Connection

DC

File/ Sql

Composer

Security

(Only want to publish only 2 desktops/ VDI and 2 applications, for 2 users)

Really appreciate your answer

Smiley Happy

Tags (1)
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure about a cloud provider. However, are you aware of the VMware Learning Platform ?

André

0 Kudos
HussamRabaya
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

you can use Vmware Hand On Lab

VMware Horizon 7 App/Desktop Virtualization HOL

Soe_Htoon_Oo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bit101,

Before you continue Horizon Lab, it's better to approach Horizon product referring to Horizon 7 | Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Software | VMware | SG which is more perfect for your study.

I'd like to suggest another second step is VMware Horizon Hands-on-lab suite will fulfil you more practical work, otherwise you become familiar with VMware Horizon tools and components.  

Here is you can reach out Horizon Lab https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/registration?source=evap&p=horizon-hol-20&src=WWW_HrzOld_TopNav_HOL... based on their instruction you should read and follow.

After you all digest above I mentioned, you can start to build up your own lab. You can look into NUC8i7HVK Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HVK Product Specifications for Horizon lab which can cover VMware Hypervisor ( to boot on thumb drive), vCenter, View Connection Server, Domain Controller, View Composer and Security. Additionally you can try to provision Instant Clone within a cluster itself.

Thanks,

Soe Htoon Oo  

Bit101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Correct me if I´m wrong but VMware does not seem to offer an opportunity to study their solutions with building a hands on Lab, if you dont have the hardware.

Cant really see how Workspace ONE Products (https://my.workspaceone.com/products ) is solving my need for "hardware". Correct me if misunderstand your answer and your links.

I must learn to install and configure the Horizon components on a server.

I can download some Horizon trial software, but I`ve dont have the hardware reosurces.

But how about Microsoft Azure Free account for 12 months? It looks like Microsoft is Little more "open minded here"??

In other words, It looks like I can Create MS virtual servers 2019 and then download/ upload and install Horizon trial Component in Azure (the free account Azure service)?

-But Is that a possible path and good solution in learning to install and configure Horizon throught an Azure solution?

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Bit101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Correct me if I´m wrong but VMware does not seem to offer an opportunity to study their solutions with building a hands on Lab by install and configuring, if you dont have the hardware.

I must learn to install and configure the Horizon components.

I can download some Horizon trial software, but I`ve dont have the hardware reosurces.

But how about Microsoft Azure Free account for 12 months? It looks like Microsoft is Little more "open minded here"??

(tell me if I´m wrong)

In other words, It looks like I can Create MS virtual servers 2019 and then download/ upload and install Horizon trial Component in Azure (the free account Azure service)?

-But Is that a possible path and good solution in learning to install and configure Horizon throught an Azure solution?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

If you want to install your own, and you have a pc or server with at least 32(64 is better) gb of ram and a quad core(eight core is better) processer, look at vmug advantage. For 200/year you get licenses for most VMware products, along with horizon. It also includes VMware workstation, so you can install a nested esxi lab that you can test installing everything. Its what I did to get experience with installing and managing horizon.

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

You might have a look for VMware Horizon Cloud Service on Microsoft Azure. Actually there is a on-Azure-tech-preview extending to Microsoft Windows Virtual Desktops.

Nested labs, completely on Azure including installing&configuring ESXi VMs, are not officially supported. I’ve stored some technical findings so far at vesxi-on-azure-scripts.