VMware Horizon Community
BarryUWSEFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

7.13 to 2006 Upgrade no go

This is more informational than it is a question, but I am surprised it is not documented. We were on Horizon 7.11 Standard, which means we did not have the license for instant clones. Then 7.13 came out and included instant clones with the standard license, I assume to assist users with upgrading to Horizon 8. So on my project to upgrade to Horizon 8 I first upgraded to 7.13, and converted all my pools to IC, and then decommissioned composer. Then, today, I went to upgrade to Horizon 8 2006 and when I ran the Horizon 8 installer on the connection server I received the error: This installer can not upgrade over the existing Horizon connection server version. Please uninstall the existing version before attempting to install this version." I went back to review the upgrade documentation and nowhere does it say you first have to uninstall the 7.x connection server. A bit research on Google, and the only place I see any comment about this is in the esteemed Carl Stalhood's 2006 Connection server document, in the comments https://www.carlstalhood.com/vmware-horizon-8-connection-server/ .

He suggests that since 7.13 is newer than 8 2006, 7.13 users should wait until the next release of 8. So essentially 7.13 - 8 2006 is a downgrade. All this is to say if you are on 7.13 wait for the next release of 8.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Quite correct, assumptions are a dangerous approach in IT. 

Don't worry though, see the release dates. Because 7.13 was already in the works and released (October) after 8 (August) it is not compatible to upgrade to 2006. However, the next upcoming Horizon 8 release should offer support for upgrading from 7.13. 

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂

View solution in original post

4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To find out about officially supported upgrade paths, see https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/sim/interop_matrix.php#upgrade&solution=569

André

BarryUWSEFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

LOL, yep, there is no upgrade for 7.13. But as you can see in my last post seeking upgrade advice, we assumed 7.13 was the stepping stone to 8.

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Horizon-Desktops-and-Apps/Horizon-7-upgrade-to-8-Queston-Linked-Cl...

Oh well, we all know what assume means!

Thanks

0 Kudos
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Quite correct, assumptions are a dangerous approach in IT. 

Don't worry though, see the release dates. Because 7.13 was already in the works and released (October) after 8 (August) it is not compatible to upgrade to 2006. However, the next upcoming Horizon 8 release should offer support for upgrading from 7.13. 

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
BarryUWSEFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, no worries here. We'll upgrade to 8 during our next maintenance window in four months. I work for a school so during the quarter when class in session we don't make changes if we don't have to. Thanks!

0 Kudos