VMware Horizon Community
edawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

5.1.0 Connection Broker Question

Hello-

I have three connection brokers running v. 5.1.0.  A standard CB with two replicas. For the most part everything is fine, although we still have not taken care of the certificate warnings.  On my to do list.  Today as I was troubleshooting some client connection scenarios I discovered if I power off all my connection brokers, then just power back on one of them (leaving the other two powered off) I cannot log into the CB web console or even log in with any of my VDI clients.  Once I power back on one of the other two cb's everything is fine.  Anyone seen this before?  I have checked DNS and all the ususal issues, but can't find anything.  I don't remember ever having this issue prior to upgrading to 5.1.0.

Thank you,

Erik

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Are they setup to tunnle clients to their VDi workstations or did you setup for direct connect? 

0 Kudos
edawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have tried checking Use Secure tunnel to desktop and also unchecking it.  Interesting part is I cannot even log into the VMware View Administrator web GUI to manage the CB's and pools etc, until I have at least two of the CB's powered on.  With only one CB powered on I get page cannot be displayed. The second the other CB comes on line I can log into the GUI.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Are you perhaps using some type of load balancer that is directing you to the down server?  

0 Kudos
edawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No load balancers are being used.

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Use View Administrator to connect to each Connection Server in turn and look at the Connection Server logs to verify that it is actually being routed to the Connection Server you think. Use FQNames and IP address to narrow it down.

View works even if other Connection Servers are powered off.

Mark

0 Kudos
edawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses.  Ultimately it looks like my problem is tied to a 10 minute time out value with the brokers.  What I finally noticed was after I turned off all my connection brokers and then turned back on any one of the three it takes around 10 minutes before the broker will start working.  I was able to confirm this behavior by looking in the logs on the connection broker so thank you for the tip...

0 Kudos