VMware Horizon Community
zhornsby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

2x Display increases login time Windows 10 1909

Has anyone fully implemented Windows 10 1909 on Horizon 7.11. Currently my Clearcubes (Zeroclient) are experiences an increased login time when dual monitors are connected. At the initial login users are prompted to accept a warning banner once they connect to a desktop. After accepting the terms they begin the login process where you will see the welcome banner with the spinning wheel, however the spinning wheel becomes laggy when dual monitors are connected. at this point they will eventually get to preparing windows but the spinning wheel is still laggy. This login time can take up to 1 and a half to 2+ minutes. if i attempt a login with a single monitor, the spinning wheel is completely smooth and the login can take around a minute.

i have also seen this with Windows 10 1903, but my Windows 10 1809 deployment i do not experience this. I have made sure that the Video card settings on the VM is set to 2 displays with 32 MB and 128 MB dedicated.

ESXI and vCenter 6.5 with Decembers patch

Horizon 7.11 Agent and Connection broker

UEM 9.7 (currently upgrading to 9.10 since 9.7 isnt compatibly with 1909 but i dont see how that would fix this issue unless im missing something)

Clearcube Model CD9924 Dual DVI connected

VMware OSOT utilized
VMware SVGA Driver is 8.16.7.0 which i believe is the correct version (i have seen articles where some people have had VMware tools override the horizon agent's display adapters version)

Could this possibly be a Zeroclient issue? im not sure how that would be possible though 

11 Replies
jonathanjabez
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It seems to be an issue with the Windows 10 1909 customization template in OSOT. Revert the changes on the master image, redo the OSOT with full optimization and use a different customization template. Also, it could be a display driver issue. uninstall Horizon agent, uninstall VMware Tools and reinstall VMware Tools first and then reinstall Horizon agent, recompose the pool with a new snapshot and check the issue.

0 Kudos
Levin1
Contributor
Contributor

Same behaviour here with Wyse Dell Thin Clients and two Monitors, but without UEM.

Issue persist with and also without OSOT.

De- and reinstall VMware Tools 10.3.10 and Horizon Agent 7.11 didn't help.

Issue is also observed on lock screen when typing the password.

After login, everything seems to be normal.

We have another deployment with Win10 1903 which is not experiencing this.

0 Kudos
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership

I'm also seeing this behaviour in a Windows 10 1909 environment.

Reinstalling Tools and Horizon Agent doesn't help.

One strange thing which helps with the logon time is setting 3D rendering on the pool to Automatic or Software. - Seems to reduce logon times from 10 minutes to 1.5 minutes.

While this does help significantly with logon times, it is at the expense of much worse graphical performance on the VM - Dragging windows around is very laggy, as is fast typing.

This is all a problem with dual screens, a single screen is has good logon times and good performance regardless of the 3D rendering option on the pool being configured.

Currently re-running the latest OSOT tool on the image to see if this helps at all.

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
0 Kudos
zhornsby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any luck Graham? i have vmware technical support reviewing logs however so far they have not reported any indications within the agent and connection server logs.

Im experiencing that same exact symptoms. 3d rendering slightly helps with logins but i see a slight lag when users are logged in

0 Kudos
jonathanjabez
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Issue seems to be with the Win 10 1909 build. Please have a look at the below Microsoft article and try to check and disable Windows optional features (if they are not completely optimized by OSOT)

Section: Manage Windows Optional Features using PowerShell Optimizing Windows 10, version 1909, for a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) role | Microsoft Doc... https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds_vdi-recommendatio...

/Jon

0 Kudos
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership

Nothing yet.

There was a version incompatibility between Win10 and the Connection servers which is resolved now but same issue.

I'm working with VMware support on this, having to uninstall UEM and eliminate one thing at a time.

The issue feels related to the OS more than anything though.

I'll look into Jonathan's suggestion too.

0 Kudos
VINC16
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I found a solution.

We have had the same problem for several months on Windows 10 1909. Login With 1 screen 20 to 40 seconds, with 2 screen (or more) 60 to 200 Seconds

No problem with GPU.

I read the solution which said to update the DEM. Despite that it did not work because it is also necessary to update the DEM ADMX on the DC.

My new version of the dem is 9.11. Don't forget to update the DEM ADMX

My horizon version and agent is 7.10

Now we have the same login time with one or 2 screens.

Regards.

Vinc16

0 Kudos
VINC16
Contributor
Contributor

Corrigendum, after a few tests I find that it is due to another change.  

I activated the GPO "Show clear logon Background"

You see this gpo in :
          Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates- System - Logon

I'm sorry for the wrong answer before. I had made both changes almost at the same time.

Good Sunday...

virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership

I was looking through GPOs this morning and identified a few I wanted to change and in researching if any of them improved logon speed performance I noticed that you have updated this thread.

I've applied this GPO to a test OU / Pool and can also confirm this resolves the problem!

Testing drops logon times on a dual-screen desktop from over 10 minutes to 1.5 minutes.

A great find, thanks Vincent!

0 Kudos
dkirchberger
Contributor
Contributor

This definitly solves the issue!

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
ggordon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for updating this with the fix. I am part of the team which produces the OSOT so I will do some testing and look to, hopefully, include this in the next update.