VMware Horizon Community
kslish
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

200+ desktop pool storage question

For best performance with a FibreChannel flash accelerated storage array, is it best practice to create multiple datastores keeping multiple master replicas (one for each datastore) and associated linked clones per desktop pool, or to set it up as one main datastore containing the master replica and then just have multiple datastores for the linked clones?

I hope my question makes sense....

Basically my current setup:  250 desktops in a pool, 5 datastores each having it's own replica image and 50 linked clones per datastore.

Was pondering if my setup was 1 primary datastore with a single replica and then have "x" amount of datastores with "x" amount of linked clones per datastore if that would be any more efficient performance wise....just thinking then the array would just have to keep one replica for the entire pool in cache for all the desktops, but would that one primary datastore be overwhelmed by a few hundred linked clones simultaneously accessing it?

Thoughts?  I can't seem to find any definitive information on this, just a Nimble (which actually is not my storage vendor) best practices guide that seems to contradict itself, in one paragraph it says that they recommend the Replica and the Linked Clone to be in the same datastores and then later in the document they state "For Linked Clones, we suggest using a separate datastore for the Master Replica and one or more datastores for the Linked Clone portion.  For the desktop image this will place some of the static data (e.g., OS) in one location and the delta (user profile) data in another."

0 Kudos
1 Reply
nzorn
Expert
Expert

I subscribed to this so I could receive notifications as I am also in a similar place.

Right now I have about 40 desktops in a single pool on a single datastore, but that desktop number will be increasing up to 100, and I wasn't planning on building a new pool or datastore.

0 Kudos