VMware Horizon Community
oberon1973
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

2 part question! View naming pattern and printers

Does anyone know why this naming pattern gives an error? hs- Can you not create 300 desktops in a linked clone pool? i thought the number was much higher or is there something wrong with my naming pattern? The error states something about not going past 14 characters or something. If I do fixed=5 it works.

Second, Someone told me that you could assign printers based on Mac address of a thin client. Does anyone know what this is about and can point me in the right direction?

Anyones help is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mclark
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Don't know about the printers, but your naming pattern should be the following: hs-. That will create desktops like hs-001, hs-002, hs-003, etc. If it were hs- it would create desktops like hs-01, hs-02, hs-03. If it were hs- it would create desktops like hs-0001, hs-0002, hs-0003. The way you have it, hs-, it is trying to create desktops like hs-<299 zeroes>1, hs-<299 zeroes>2, etc.

Nothing will inherently stop it from creating desktop # hs-301, except licensing, and I don't know of a way to tell it to stop creating desktops after it hits 300 (or any given number).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChrisKubiak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From Release Notes:

When you create an automated pool of 100 or more desktops, View Composer does not warn you to limit the prefix name to 12 characters. In an automated pool, desktop names can be no longer than 15 characters, including the prefix name and the autogenerated number. For example, if you create an automated pool with a 13-character prefix and set the maximum pool size higher than 100 desktops, View Connection Server cannot provision more than 99 desktops.

Workaround: When you create an automated pool of 100-999 desktops, limit the prefix to 12 characters. When you create a pool of 1,000 or more desktops, limit the prefix to 11 characters.

How long is the first part of your linked clone names?

mclark
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Don't know about the printers, but your naming pattern should be the following: hs-. That will create desktops like hs-001, hs-002, hs-003, etc. If it were hs- it would create desktops like hs-01, hs-02, hs-03. If it were hs- it would create desktops like hs-0001, hs-0002, hs-0003. The way you have it, hs-, it is trying to create desktops like hs-<299 zeroes>1, hs-<299 zeroes>2, etc.

Nothing will inherently stop it from creating desktop # hs-301, except licensing, and I don't know of a way to tell it to stop creating desktops after it hits 300 (or any given number).

0 Kudos
oberon1973
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see so the n:fixed=300 is not numer desktops until you hit 300 then start over but use 3 place holders if it is n:fixed=3? That explains it.

0 Kudos