VMware Horizon Community
jllaclair
Contributor
Contributor

2 or more entitlements to a Windows 7 Workstation

I have been pulling my hair out for days now trying to figure out what is wrong.

I have some workstations that I would like to create and allow 2 different users log into the machine.

User A will log in on Mondays and User B will log in on Fridays.  Also, I would like my Assistant to log onto the computers when they are away to run updates or fix any issues with the PC.

I can log into the computer fine as USER A, but when I LOG OUT and try to LOG BACK in as USER B I get the dreadful, "this desktop has no desktop sources...etc."

Is this program setup to only allow 1 user (the first user logged in) the permanent and only user to access the PC, unless you go to View center?

I mean with a physical machine I can log into the Windows 7 OS, as 50 different users and have 50 different profiles.  Why can I not do this through View??

What happens if I need to relocate two users and they need to use the previous users desktop, becuase of the files on the C drive, that windows 7 machine is locked to the first indivudal.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
11 Replies
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,
When you create a Pool en VMware View, you have to chose between Dedicated or Floating user assignment.  In your case, you have to use Floating assignment to allow multiples users can be able to log in to the same virtual desktops (not at the same time, of course).

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bwcV2FixTe4/TO7Cl5Ee1ZI/AAAAAAAABrI/eLlpibRBUyk/s1600/Captura03.PNG

Best Regards

Patricio Cerda

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos
jllaclair
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!  And I assume you create one 1 machine.  If I am not mistaken, you have to do this off a template and not a workstation.  is this correct?

0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can create a Pool with only one or many Virtual Desktops.  You can create Automated Pools (Using Templates or Composer), or you can create Manual Pools, with existing Virtual Desktops, which have to have View Agent previously installed.

0 Kudos
jllaclair
Contributor
Contributor

OK, great! Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You're welcome!

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct. Thank you.

0 Kudos
wksantiago
Contributor
Contributor

Question,

I have an automated pool with three VMs.

But all VMs are not part of the Active Directory they are on a workgroup.

Can I assign local accounts from the already in the master VM instead of the Active Directory?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
jllaclair
Contributor
Contributor

If you assign local accounts in the VM, any VM’s created using this master will have those local accounts. But yes, you can. However, I would make a copy and use that master for the computers not connected to the domain that need local accounts.

Jeff

0 Kudos
wksantiago
Contributor
Contributor

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.

I did this but when trying to login into the VM using VMware View I cannot choose one of the local users on the master VM like Administrator.

How can this be done?

William

0 Kudos
jllaclair
Contributor
Contributor

Did you put in the local computer name? Login: workstation1\administrator Workstation1 is the name of the local computer.

Password:

0 Kudos
jllaclair
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, also if you created the VM without using FLOATING, and you logged in, only that person can log onto the Workstation.

Found that out the hardway ☹

0 Kudos
wksantiago
Contributor
Contributor

Yes that is it I used Automated Pool with Dedicated user assignment.

So I will have to use Floating user assignment.  I will try and posted.

Thanks,

0 Kudos