VMware Horizon Community
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

2 Leostream questions

Just two Leostream broker questions, to see if anyone else is aware of a way to do either...

1. Is there any way to create a default template of sorts for when new policies are created? In other words... if I create a new policy, can I have certain default settings (other than what is already there) for the "Configuration" sections?

2. Is there any way to add in users by groups when manually loading them from an AD/LDAP lookup? I realize you can automatically add users and assign them to policy based on group membership under "Authentication servers", but those users don't appear in the "Users" list until they have attempted to logon at least once. The only downside on this would be in a case where you did want to "Hard-assign to specific user" on a given machine, before that user logs on.

Thanks in advance for any feedback....

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bbrinkley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Regarding #1, a configurable "Default Policy" is scheduled to be added to the Connection Broker this summer. When new policies are created, they will inherit from this. The Default Policy will also be used for users who haven't been assigned a policy.

Would the ability to "clone" any policy and save it as a new policy be helpful?

As for #2, this functionality is available now. Once the Authentication Server is created, pick "Load users" from the Action dropdown. This will present a pick list of all users in your AD/LDAP setup. You can add them all or select them individually. Save the form, and the users will be visible in the Users page.

Hope this helps,

Bill Brinkley, Leostream Corp.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
conyards
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I've observed the behavior you describe in question 2... couldn't find an elegant work around I'm afraid. for the case where it was absolutly required, I ended up creating a new TAG and Policy for the user... bit of an overhead.

Out of interest, what are the circumstances you've encountered that require a hard assigned VM? Maybe there could be another way of appraching the problem.

https://virtual-simon.co.uk/
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just a few examples we've run accross...

Developer A needs a new test machine running IE 7 on Windows XP

Developer B needs a new test machine running Vista

Basically cases where someone needs a specific machine build that doesn't fit our normal template for a base configuration. I don't think it will continue that often, and once the bulk of those users are in the system it will become an easier request. Just looking to see if there was a better (more effecient) way of getting them in the system.

0 Kudos
bbrinkley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Regarding #1, a configurable "Default Policy" is scheduled to be added to the Connection Broker this summer. When new policies are created, they will inherit from this. The Default Policy will also be used for users who haven't been assigned a policy.

Would the ability to "clone" any policy and save it as a new policy be helpful?

As for #2, this functionality is available now. Once the Authentication Server is created, pick "Load users" from the Action dropdown. This will present a pick list of all users in your AD/LDAP setup. You can add them all or select them individually. Save the form, and the users will be visible in the Users page.

Hope this helps,

Bill Brinkley, Leostream Corp.

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Bill

Thanks much for the response. Especially the information regarding the update for a default policy in the future release. Would this be by chance the same release that is planned to have provisioning abilities?

In regard to #2, I have used this method for adding individual users (or multiple by using CTRL or SHIFT keys). However, I was looking to see if there was any way to be able to add an entire AD group of users at one time? Similar to what you can configure under "Authentication Servers" if you look for "memberof" and create an automatic policy based on group membership. Just looking to see if there is a way to pre-load an entire group of users into the system, without having to have them logon first. Again, the only reason would be to modify the user settings prior to having them logon. Otherwise it appears that anything configured in in the Authentication Server section overrides any changes to a user account if they are a member of said group anyway.

Thanks again

Steve

0 Kudos