VMware Horizon Community
SLCymru
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

2 Horizon Deployments using same vCenter

Hi everyone,

We currently have a Horizon 7.02 environment (1 x Connection server, 1 x Replica Server, 1 x Composer server) in production, and we would like to test the Virtualization Pack for Skype for Business capability included in the newer releases.  Because this capability would require us to upgrade our exisitng licensing we would like to test before committing. We also use NVIDIA GRID GPUs with our linked clones and we do not have additional hardware available for testing.

So, can anyone tell me if it is possible (and safe) to install another Horizon instance (1 x Connection server, 1 x Composer server) alongside out production enviroment, using the same vCenter and the same Windows domain.

Many thanks,

Steve.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
john_its
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

unless something changed in7.4 or 7.5, Vmware officially supports only 1 to 1 pairings for vcenter and composer.

I wanted to do a similar setup with 7.3, , with a single VCSA but 2 composer servers and 2 connection server (1 to 1), but that was the reply I got from support.

I haven’t checked , but maybe you can do it with instand clones instead of composer.

In every case i would suggest to upgrade you Horizon version since there are a couple of improvements regarding SfB.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
john_its
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

unless something changed in7.4 or 7.5, Vmware officially supports only 1 to 1 pairings for vcenter and composer.

I wanted to do a similar setup with 7.3, , with a single VCSA but 2 composer servers and 2 connection server (1 to 1), but that was the reply I got from support.

I haven’t checked , but maybe you can do it with instand clones instead of composer.

In every case i would suggest to upgrade you Horizon version since there are a couple of improvements regarding SfB.

0 Kudos
andiwe79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have done this for migration scenarios before. Don't remember the exact Versions. I think composer was involved but i can imagine this is not in the VMware Support matrix.
Be aware that you should really avoid name collisions of folder and VM naming! I can't tell if this will work in your environment. Please be careful.

Can't say if there is any possiblity to get testing licenses that you could use in your environment without breaking licensing rules. Could be worth asking your VMware Partner/Reseller.

Best regards.

Andreas

0 Kudos
SLCymru
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies.  I ended up carving off an older host from production and spinning up a trial vSphere/Horizon environment.

Thank you,

Steve.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Horizon is a 1:1 the only way that multiple connections servers can be attached to a vCenter is if they are in replica mode.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos