VMware Horizon Community
JayeshPatel65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a warning on the dashboard about too few cores in an Azure family. How can I see what this means in more detail?

overnight, I'm now seeing a warning on the dashboard saying something like 'you don't have enough cores in the azure subscription'

how can i see in more detail what this means. This is unexpected, i didn't change anything overnight,

thanks

jayesh

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

hi jayesh

see the response i gave on Whats the difference between capacity and utilization?   this will likely help a lot here.

in summary though the warning is being given because the number of available 'things' (could be vm's , or family cores, or regional cores etc) are running low. And you may not be able to create as many vm's as you would like in future. So its a warning to go and ask Microsoft to extend the limit (via Subscription->Limits&Quotas in your Azure portal).

I dont know specifically for your environment what is tripping this. But, if you go to:

• Settings->Capacity
  • then, change the view to 'Type'
  • now, next to the Azure Subscription friendly name, you will see a Progress bar indicating the subscription 'usage'. Click on this, and a dialog similar to the following will be displayed;

azure_capacityScreenshot.png

from this, you should see which of the items (in your case) are triggering the warning, and you can either delete items from your azure subscription, or go and ask Microsoft to help extend those limits to give your environment more headroom. (Remember, you only pay for resources when they are being used. So if you ask for an additional 500 cores; that doesn't cost you anything until you use them.

I do recommend proactively asking for extensions before you really need them. In some cases, I have seen extensions take a number of days; for smaller increases this can often happen very quickly (personally I have seen this happening in less than 10-15mins), but, if you are asking for thousands of cores then this will take longer. So, proactive management of this is recommended.

hope this helps,

cheers

peterb

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

hi jayesh

see the response i gave on Whats the difference between capacity and utilization?   this will likely help a lot here.

in summary though the warning is being given because the number of available 'things' (could be vm's , or family cores, or regional cores etc) are running low. And you may not be able to create as many vm's as you would like in future. So its a warning to go and ask Microsoft to extend the limit (via Subscription->Limits&Quotas in your Azure portal).

I dont know specifically for your environment what is tripping this. But, if you go to:

• Settings->Capacity
  • then, change the view to 'Type'
  • now, next to the Azure Subscription friendly name, you will see a Progress bar indicating the subscription 'usage'. Click on this, and a dialog similar to the following will be displayed;

azure_capacityScreenshot.png

from this, you should see which of the items (in your case) are triggering the warning, and you can either delete items from your azure subscription, or go and ask Microsoft to help extend those limits to give your environment more headroom. (Remember, you only pay for resources when they are being used. So if you ask for an additional 500 cores; that doesn't cost you anything until you use them.

I do recommend proactively asking for extensions before you really need them. In some cases, I have seen extensions take a number of days; for smaller increases this can often happen very quickly (personally I have seen this happening in less than 10-15mins), but, if you are asking for thousands of cores then this will take longer. So, proactive management of this is recommended.

hope this helps,

cheers

peterb

0 Kudos
JayeshPatel65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks, yes, for me it was my Av2 cores that were running low. I have increased those, and the warning has now gone. thanks,

0 Kudos