VMware Horizon Community
JayeshPatel65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I update the underlying OS image or applications?

everything is working nicely. i want update the base image with an update to the OS and some of the apps I installed.

whats the best way to do this?

thanks

jayesh

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mjdavidge
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Jayesh,

The way I'm most familiar with is to take the image offline, make the changes, and then re-publish it. I usually do this with the following steps:

1. From the Inventory > Images page within Horizon Admin, select the image and issue a "Take Offline" command (from the  '...' button)
2. Wait about 15-20 minutes for the Image to fully power on allow logins
3. Log in to the Image (I usually create Images that have a public IP, so I can access them via RDP -- if you've created an image without a public IP, you may need to either enable one via Azure Portal, or use the private IP to access it from another system on the same network)

4. Make whatever changes and updates you were looking to perform

5. From the Inventory > Images page, repeat the steps of publishing the image, similar to when you originally published it

Once the system re-publishes the image, any Farms that use that image should begin to replace themselves with the new image (while respecting user logins and availability).

Cheers,

Matthew Davidge

Sr. Member of Technical Staff, QE

View solution in original post

3 Replies
mjdavidge
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Jayesh,

The way I'm most familiar with is to take the image offline, make the changes, and then re-publish it. I usually do this with the following steps:

1. From the Inventory > Images page within Horizon Admin, select the image and issue a "Take Offline" command (from the  '...' button)
2. Wait about 15-20 minutes for the Image to fully power on allow logins
3. Log in to the Image (I usually create Images that have a public IP, so I can access them via RDP -- if you've created an image without a public IP, you may need to either enable one via Azure Portal, or use the private IP to access it from another system on the same network)

4. Make whatever changes and updates you were looking to perform

5. From the Inventory > Images page, repeat the steps of publishing the image, similar to when you originally published it

Once the system re-publishes the image, any Farms that use that image should begin to replace themselves with the new image (while respecting user logins and availability).

Cheers,

Matthew Davidge

Sr. Member of Technical Staff, QE

JayeshPatel65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks Matthew

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal