VMware Horizon Community
SophiaBonham
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I best configure DNS in the environment and validate it's working?

related to my AD questions; is there recommended guidance on how to configure DNS in the environment, and importantly validate that it's all functioning?

or does horizon cloud service validate this as part of its build out?

thanks

Sophia

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

hi sophia

so sorry about the delay in replying here.

so.... Azure will automatically provide azure dns for new vnets created. This will work great for initial deployment, but wont be good enough when you come to need to resolve AD.

As such, we recomend that prior to deploying a node, you get your networking/dns all up and running first

once dns is configured, then you can configure the vnet with default DNS. any vms connected to that vnet will then auto inherit that / those dns servers.

note; if you change the dns config on a vnet after deployment, then you have to restart any vm's connected to that network before they will pick up the dns changes.

as for testing if its working; then the best recomendation i have is to deploy a vm (from azure marketplace - eg a linux machine, or a lightweight windows machine) and use that as a ping test box. make sure to deploy the vm onto the same subnets for which you are interested. (in the case of the Horizon Cloud Service node  - deploy the test vm onto the Tenant Network subnet

vmw-hcs-<nodeID>-net-tenant

once the vm is deployed, then using console/command prompt try to;

ping <your fqdn of your domain>    eg ping myDomain.corp

try:

ping  cloud.horizon.vmware.com

and this should help you identify if things look good. If you suspect intermittent dns (which can sometimes happen if not configured properly) then try:

dig cloud.horizon.vmware.com

and run that multiple times. this would show occasional failures if dns is intermittent.

anyway, thats the best tips ive got,

hope this helps,

cheers

peterb

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

hi sophia,

sorry; i haven't had chance to answer this one yet. i will try and do so later today,

cheers

peterb

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

hi sophia

so sorry about the delay in replying here.

so.... Azure will automatically provide azure dns for new vnets created. This will work great for initial deployment, but wont be good enough when you come to need to resolve AD.

As such, we recomend that prior to deploying a node, you get your networking/dns all up and running first

once dns is configured, then you can configure the vnet with default DNS. any vms connected to that vnet will then auto inherit that / those dns servers.

note; if you change the dns config on a vnet after deployment, then you have to restart any vm's connected to that network before they will pick up the dns changes.

as for testing if its working; then the best recomendation i have is to deploy a vm (from azure marketplace - eg a linux machine, or a lightweight windows machine) and use that as a ping test box. make sure to deploy the vm onto the same subnets for which you are interested. (in the case of the Horizon Cloud Service node  - deploy the test vm onto the Tenant Network subnet

vmw-hcs-<nodeID>-net-tenant

once the vm is deployed, then using console/command prompt try to;

ping <your fqdn of your domain>    eg ping myDomain.corp

try:

ping  cloud.horizon.vmware.com

and this should help you identify if things look good. If you suspect intermittent dns (which can sometimes happen if not configured properly) then try:

dig cloud.horizon.vmware.com

and run that multiple times. this would show occasional failures if dns is intermittent.

anyway, thats the best tips ive got,

hope this helps,

cheers

peterb

0 Kudos
SophiaBonham
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks peter. i knew about dns on the vnet, but didnt think about deploying a test vm. thats helpful,

thanks

sophia.

0 Kudos