VMware Networking Community
Hesyam
Contributor
Contributor

VMware HCX and vSphere Replication support multiwriter datastore

Hi guys,

i have question regarding VMware business continuity. As we aware, VMware offer multi writer disk to enable active-active clustering solution i.e Oracle RAC.

However, multi writer doesn't support storage vMotion, cloning and CBT.

I need to ensure my Oracle DB RAC (and others system with multi writer mode) capable to replicate and run to another site via HCX or vSphere Replication without issue.

Can HCX or vSphere replication support this? How ?

Any other solution in VMware can enable the multi-writer kind of system business continuity?

4 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

Migration:

As mentioned before, each of the four HCX migration methods can be used to migrate standalone Oracle workloads, per SLA requirements. Due to the shared disk restriction of HCX migration, Oracle RAC migration is not supported.

Migrating using VMware HCX

-------

Deploying Extended Oracle RAC :

Deploying Extended Oracle RAC on Stretched Clusters for VMware Cloud on AWS

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
Hesyam
Contributor
Contributor

Meaning to say, migration of shared disk only workable via DB level i.e Oracle Data Guard or Array level i.e netapp snap mirror or cloud sync

0 Kudos
grosas
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Hesyam,

Theres a community for HCX​ discussions now.  We’ve worked with customers who achieved a mult-writer migration by sequencing out removing the multi-writer /shared bus elements , then migrating the Oracle RAC members individually with HCX vMotion, then re-assembling the cluster at the destination. 

Twitter: gabe_rosas
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to HCX

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog