VMware Networking Community
jkralik90
Contributor
Contributor

HCX Question

Hey Everyone,

I have an HCX question. Two parter. Is there anyway to speed up the syncs of the data. I have two vcenters. One old and one newer. I'm moving vms from the old one to the new one. I have the same luns mapped to the clusters in each vcenter. So really the syncs are just going to the same lun. I would think that process would be faster since its preseeded sort of.

Question 2, which goes with question 1. I can start the syncs via rav the day before and just set the start time at 9 am the next morning or something .Will the syncs fail if our rubrik system snaps the vm at a certain point during the night?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChrisFD2
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The HCX process will result in a complete read/write of VM data, regardless if it is on the same storage/LUN and it is unable to use the existing data to seed from.

Using RAV you are able to select a maintenance window, please check: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-HCX/4.6/hcx-user-guide/GUID-741F47D5-A3C9-4D74-9672-E54D8791D8F0.h...

It is recommended not to have snapshots of the VM taken during the migration phase as it can interfere with the process.

Regards,
Chris
VCIX-DCV 2024 | VCIX-NV 2024 | vExpert 6x | CCNA R&S
0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Just curious to know why are you using HCX for the migration ? It can be done via cross vCenter migration right ? In HCX it does complete copy via network, so you may not be able to save time.

Also since the storage is shared between two envt. I assume both setup might have common networks too. We had similar scenario and we picked one ESXi node as ferry boat and move the VMs to that ESXi node and remove the node from VC01 , attach the ESXi to another VC, then just do a vmotion to destination cluster keep the storage as same. So that it will be just taking time of copying RAM contents (just a vmotion) as storage remains same. Repeat the process and move VMs in batches. It should be faster when compared to HCX migration.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
miladmeh8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This was also my question

0 Kudos