VMware Networking Community
JPZirkle01
Contributor
Contributor

HCX Bulk Migration Issue with Random VMs

Hello all,

We're utilizing HCX Bulk Migrations to migrate our entire data center from on-prem to VMC. We've migrated over 50 servers so far, with mostly excellent results. However, we've had two instances where a VM will be stuck in Replicate powered-off virtual machine task for an inordinate period of time(almost 2 hours in two cases). Most servers complete this tasks/phase in less than 5 minutes.

We've observed two servers, of identical build(OS, apps installed etc), where one took 2 minutes to complete the Replicate task, while the sister system took 1hour and 50 minutes.

We're finding no reason for the slow replicate performance on random systems. Additionally, we found no error messages or issues within the HCX logs, which are extremely hard to decipher. There are no indicators of performance issues with HCX appliances, VM hosts, or Bandwidth constraints. It seems these particular VMs just sit grinding for a long time and finally complete.

I am hoping someone has experienced this behavior and has some feedback. All in all, HCX has been a life saver in completing our on-prem to VMC migration during my very short time frame provided by leadership. I can't speak highly enough about it's efficacy. I just would like to understand these anomalies in migration.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are doing fine

I use HCX for cross vCenters migrations and for what I've seen the error you describe happened to me when, at the same time of the migration, some Site Recovery Manager tests were running so the VMs were locked. In another situation, the backup of some VM's delayed the migration.

As for time before, we launch the migration wave 30/36 hours prior so there is no replication time, hope that works for you

Warm regards

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to HCX Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos