can't copy/paste vmware fusion 12 from mac os to linux host

I can't copy/paste vmware fusion 12 from mac os to linux host

Please help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Did you install the open-vm-tools and enable copy paste in the VM preferences?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The Fusion Tech Preview or the already-released Fusion 12?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
urizaf
Contributor
Contributor

This is the fusion 12 tech preview..

0 Kudos
urizaf
Contributor
Contributor

Copy/paste was enabled by default.

I'm using mac m1 on host, kali linux on virtual machine.

When I had to select an operation system for the virtual machine I chose "Other Linux 5.x kernel 64-bit ARM.

Unfortunately it only gives 8 GB memory and 768 RAM, that's why the kali install didn't work (couldnt change these settings)

After that I chose the Debian 11.x 64-bit ARM, install worked, but when I tried to ./configure the github repository of open-vm-tools (https://github.com/vmware/open-vm-tools) I got an error. It was in the virtual machine so I don't have an access to the error, I tried to solve it but from searching on google I understood it probably has to do with the discrepancy between the real operating system and the fact I chose debian in the VMware settings.

So the problem is that I couldn't install open-vm-tools.

I could try again I guess and find the exact error.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

For the preview, I'd stick with the ones listed in the preview guide if you can - there's a lot of moving parts, and it's still really early days.

0 Kudos
jdavredbeard
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this same problem, with vmware fusion Player Version 13.5.0 (22583790) - host system is Mac M2 with Ventura 13.5.2 - and Debian GNU/Linux 12 - no GUI - open-vm-tools is installed, and copy paste is enabled, but I can't copy from the mac and paste into debian. I was able to with when using a similar vm with the GNOME desktop, but can't figure out how to get it working with no GUI.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

If you are not running a GUI such as GNOME then copy/paste does not not work on the console. The tools require you to be running a graphical session on Linux in order to copy/paste. (It’s always worked that way, even in a Intel Mac)  

You can ssh into the VM using the Mac’s Terminal app and copy/paste to the VM from there. . 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides