VMware Communities
golip
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 arm M1 mac for the love of god help

Hi All

I am at my wits end , before you judge i understand vmware tech preview is not technically meant for windows 10 but i cant get any form of windows working at the moment on an M1 mac

Everytime i try with all arm 64 versions of windows 10 i either get a blue screen saying we ran in to a problem and to restart just as install is copying files or if i try different iso it comes up with windows is missing drivers and gives me the option to browse but im not sure what to do here.

I have ensured settings are set to sata for hd , selected dvd and pointed to install iso and increased ram to 4gb

I even tried editing the VM file to add windows 10 to the identifier but to no avail 

Can someone please tell me what im doing wrong or even point me in the direction of a VM thats already setup that i can copy and use.

Thank you in advance for your replies

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The most fool-proof way I've found to get a Windows 11 for ARM Insider Preview to run is to download the latest HyperV vhdx file that's available from the Windows Insider Preview site (insider.windows.com). Microsoft is no longer making the Windows 10 version available.

That vhdx file can be converted into a VMware vmdk file (using tools like qemu-img that is part of qemu utility). That file can then be attached to a virtual machine as the boot disk, replacing the hard disk that Fusion creates for you with a new virtual machine.  

The following thread has more info as well as tips on how to get it running:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech/Vmware-Fusion-Apple-Silicon-Support-...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos