VMware Communities
angusf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Will Fusion support Monterey guests? If so how many?

Reading with interest the about Monterey virtualisation framework.

Reading also that there is a system enforced limit to the number of VM's which can be running at one time.

Will there be an update to the tech preview with macOS Monterey silicon guest support.

Angus

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

The framework is really rudimentary, not remotely a complete solution. 

there's no support for virtualizing macOS is the preview.  From posts here, it sounds like there's a lack of support from apple to do so.

0 Kudos
angusf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Parallels Desktop for example has a KB article about how to install it right now which intimates that it uses the Monterey virtualisation framework. 

I know there is no support right now (and likely cannot be on Big Sur), that was not my question.

0 Kudos
viking1304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@angusf wrote:

Parallels Desktop for example has a KB article about how to install it right now which intimates that it uses the Monterey virtualisation framework. 

I know there is no support right now (and likely cannot be on Big Sur), that was not my question.

I am testing Windows and Linux guests just to see how they work even I do not really need any of those. I have almost 20 Linux servers at work and my personal VPS with Ubuntu desktop, so I really do not need one more Linux in my life. 🙂

The only VM that I actually want to have on my M1 is macOS one, but, as you probably know this version of VMware has a clear focus on Linux ARM guests. ARM version of Windows is not officially supported, but still works very good. There is absolutely no support for macOS guests at this moment.

Monterey will be out in next few days, so I hope that VMware team will start working on macOS guest support soon. I understand their decision to wait for official launch of Monterey before they even start working on this, since there was a possibility that some thing would be changed during beta period in virtualization API.

albatros99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i have installed yesterday under fusion 12.2.0 a new virtual machine with osx 12 beta, also ms office for mac 2021, also fusion 12.2.0 without any problems.

the only problem i have found is that i have no access to the vmware internet site with safari, the page reboot continuous! With firefox no problem!

Attention!: osx 12 is the first beta and it is recommanded to not use on productive machines!

0 Kudos
viking1304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@albatros99 wrote:

i have installed yesterday under fusion 12.2.0 a new virtual machine with osx 12 beta, also ms office for mac 2021, also fusion 12.2.0 without any problems.

the only problem i have found is that i have no access to the vmware internet site with safari, the page reboot continuous! With firefox no problem!

Attention!: osx 12 is the first beta and it is recommanded to not use on productive machines!

VMware 12.2.0 is Intel version and we are all aware that Intel version will work. We hope to get some info about macOS guest support on M1 macs.

Final version of Monterey will be available in less than 48 hours and most likely it will be absolutely the same as RC2.

0 Kudos
albatros99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Apple registered developper becomes this version any days before and i had use this version officialy distributed on 2021-10-25!

I will wait any times for productive machines, there will be any bugs found the first time!

I have install a virtual test system, so that i will be sure before have services/programs not running as in history!

This is not only for apple products, also for others!

0 Kudos
angusf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are talking about Intel. this is the Apple silicon tech preview discussion so Intel isn't relevant.

0 Kudos