VMware Communities
tuweige28
Contributor
Contributor

Questions about creating virtual machines on Apple M1 Max chip laptops

Hi all, I plan to replace the laptop with Apple M1 Max chip in the near future. I am currently using Vmware Fusion 12.2.0 version. What is the compatibility of the current 12.2.0 version with the M1 Max chip? In addition, if you use the M1 Max 10 core chip, in the Vmware Fusion 12.2.0 version, create a virtual machine, each virtual machine has 1 core, how many can be created at most? The size of the physical memory can be ignored, thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Which guest OSes do you want to run?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
tuweige28
Contributor
Contributor

I will install Centos7 and Ubuntu OS in a virtual machine.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Well, the current 12.2.0 version is only for Intel chips.  You need this Tech Preview to run on M1 chips.

As far as the guest OS's in the virtual machines, they ALL will need to be ARM versions of the OS.  x86/x64 versions will NOT run.

0 Kudos
tuweige28
Contributor
Contributor

I know, but what I need to know is, if it is an M1 10-core CPU, how many core virtual machines can be created in Fusion?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

That’s like asking how long is a piece of string. 

You can create as many as you want. How many can run simultaneously with acceptable performance will depend on how many Virtual cores you allocate to your VMs, how heavily you are using those VMs CPUs, and how much memory they consume (you can not ignore this). 

The general rule of thumb has been to use no more than n-1 virtual cores (to leave 1 for OS overhead). Your mileage may vary. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

FWIW, I haven't been able to cause issues on my new M1 Max - runs multiple multi-core VM's without even turning the fans on.  This thing is insanely powerful.

I suspect we may revisit that N-1 guidance in the M1 world, but first we have to find whatever threshold causes problems!

0 Kudos