VMware Communities
gastonparadiso
Contributor
Contributor

MacBook Pro M1 - OS Monterey - Error VMware Fusion with Windows 11 ISO

Hello, 

Triying Installation of Windows 11, show this error, It seem that it does not detect the CD /DVD reader, I confirm that if the OS image appears mounted, I do not know how to proceed ...

best regard!

Gaston

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

What ISO are you trying to use? Microsoft doesn’t seem to make available installation ISOs for Windows 11 on ARM - at least not anywhere that’s easy to find. 

You may have better luck with the Windows 11 on ARM Insider Preview release - it’s a Hyper-V vhdx file that can be converted to a vmdk and then attached as the boot disk of a manually created VM. That doesn’t need an installation ISO file mounted on a CD/DVD drive. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
gastonparadiso
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

thanks for your attention, the version I use is one that is downloaded from uup dump. That unlike the one that you can download from the microsoft page, at least it allows me to be recognized in the virtualization of the CD / DVD. Clarification: With microsoft's .iso it doesn't even identify the image, so I tried with the UUP version. I ask: from where could I download what you indicate?

Best regard!

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

You first sign up for the Windows Insider program at https://insider.windows.com. Once registered you can download the Windows 11 on ARM Insider Preview.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
gastonparadiso
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for your prompt response,

I am downloading to the windows 11 ARM 64 .vhdx file.

Question: VMWare Fusion directly supports this type of file or should I convert it to .ISO, if this is so, could you tell me which is the most convenient way?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The Tech Preview won't recognize a vhdx file nor will it do a conversion for you. You will need to convert the vhdx file to vmdk -  the thread in this forum  Vmware Fusion Apple Silicon Support Windows has a lot of info that you'll find useful for suggested tools and tips that'll help you get this working.

QEMU tends to be the most recommended tool - it has a utility in the package that'll do the conversation for you, but you have to download QEMU in its entirety to get access to the utility.  

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos