VMware Communities
gnattu
Contributor
Contributor

Linux 5.17 EFI-stub does not boot, hangs at loading kernel.

As you see in this picture, when booting a Linux with 5.17 kernel, it stucks at EFI stub: exiting boot services, but it would boot on Linux 5.16, reverting the kernel proves this. 

By using grub instead of efi-stub, we can see that grub hangs at loading kernel.

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 19.06.55.png

15 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Probably the same issue that has been reported here in this board. The culprit appears to be the changes made to the Linux kernel to address recently reported security issues. It's causing any kernel with these fixes (including older versions that are receiving these fixes as a back port) to fail to boot on the Tech Preview.

If so, there nothing you can do except use a kernel binary released before March 2022. Or wait for VMware to comment and or address the issue.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
SergioGonzalez
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue.

Could you kindly send the solution, if you have, to this board.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@SergioGonzalez If this is indeed the issue of the kernel fixes for security issues causing your problem, there is no solution at this time other than finding an earlier kernel version that does not have those fixes incorporated. We are awaiting a response from VMware.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
gnattu
Contributor
Contributor

After some research it seems like it is not caused by recent Spectre-BHB fixes, I disabled that in Kconfig and 5.17 is till not bootable. The reason is that, recent Linux kernel adds support to read

ID_AA64ISAR2_EL1

register with traps into the hypervisor, treating it as faults on M1. QEMU already landed the patchset (http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/qemu-devel/patch/20220209124135.69183-2-agraf@csgraf.de/) to fix this issue.

gnattu
Contributor
Contributor

I uploaded a patchset for 5.17: https://gist.github.com/gnattu/c114091013cac6a6c36394c7a572281c

This reverts the support for ID_AA64ISAR2_EL1 register, and added some dirty workarounds to make the kernel build. This made 5.17 is now bootable for me. Removing a kernel feature for a broken hypervisor is clearly not a good approach, but it's the only choice for us to use a closed-source hypervisor. Hope this could help someone who wants to use 5.17 on VMware.

Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 17.06.45.png

btaroli
Contributor
Contributor

I've stayed back on 5.16.13 for safety. Does anyone know if a patch that address this in 5.17.x has been posted?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Nothing yet from VMware. Still waiting. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Forge128
Contributor
Contributor

Can't go without my virtualization for $time while VMware gets a fix or release together. Bought Parallels as an interim solution. Not happy.

0 Kudos
btaroli
Contributor
Contributor

Wow... still no updated release? Or am I just looking in the wrong place? It's been months. I like using my Linux VM, but being stuck on 5.16.13 seems... wrong.

I did try to upgrade to latest 5.18.13 and nope, same bug. Alllrighty then. Someday.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I hear you. @Mikero hinted this month for a refresh of the Tech Preview, but as July is ticking away it reminds me of a Yogi Berra quote: "It's getting late early"...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
aliceyoung
Contributor
Contributor

It appears that this page is a placeholder for the next version:

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/get-download?downloadGroup=FUS-PUBTP-22H2

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@Mikero indicated that the updated TP may be available later this evening PDT. Check the Fusion Blog or the TP main page for the announcement (I'm suspecting that when I wake up on Friday morning EDT it will be there...) 🤞🙏

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
aliceyoung
Contributor
Contributor

It's there now 🙂

0 Kudos
btaroli
Contributor
Contributor

Which is awesome, but the F35 on 5.16 kernel that was working magically won't boot at all. ISO media for F35 won't even boot. 😞

I see a post saying F36 media is happier, but there are graphics oddities. For now, I've reverted to previous preview build. Let's bake this some more, folks.

0 Kudos