VMware Communities
Contributor
Contributor

KB-84273.

I downloaded the VMware fusion for my M1 and prompted an "Upgrade ... " Dialog box. I accepted, and it froze me in my tracks. My error code is KB-84273. Feel free to reach out here or via my Twitter: LandoWRLD.

25 Replies
joshiga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey,

Which Guest VM you were trying to run? Is it x86 or ARM? 

Was the full error something like this: 

"This virtual machine cannot be powered on because it  requires the x86 machine architecture, which is incompatible with this arm machine architecture host. See KB-84273.

Please note only ARM Guest VMs are supported run on this. 

Please try ARM Guest with any of the supported Guest OS Matrix and ideally you shouldn't get any 

error. 

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Thanks.

Contributor
Contributor

The entire error message you gave was correct. Although, I do not remember what version I was trying to run. I used VMware for my previous mac to run windows, and I tried the same process a few weeks ago on my M1. When I loaded up the Silicon-based software, it looked like it already had a windows of some kind installed. 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Intel Macs can only run x86-based OSes with Fusion.

M1 Macs can only run ARM-based OSes with Fusion.

So if you have an x86-based VM from an Intel Mac, you can't run it on an M1 Mac.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Yeah, the issue here is that the Fusion installer doesn't clear the old 'launch on start' preference for the intel VM, so you get a file not found error.

0 Kudos
cobrajones
Contributor
Contributor

If I've been running  x86-based OS with Fusion on an intel Mac but now want to move to running Windows on an M1 Mac, how would I go about this?

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

You will need to download and run both the Windows for ARM Insider Preview from Microsoft and use the Fusion For Apple Silicon Tech Preview. You then move your data and applications and hope they run. No x86_64 VMs will run on Apple Silicon. The preview release does work but there is no VMware tools support to enhance the experience. See the other threads in this forum for important info that you will neee to get going  

Also note that the use of Windows for ARM on Apple Silicon is unsupported by both Microsoft and VMware. You can’t buy a license for it.  Evidently this is due to a exclusivity agreement between Microsoft and Qualcomm that locks support and licensing of Windows for ARM to Qualcomm CPU chips.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
rajibd
Contributor
Contributor

I tried. VMWARE Fusion 12 pro on. M1  MACBOOK PRO  with.  Ubuntu ARM version iso image ,  It  FAILED too..

Error : 

"This version of VMware Fusion is for the Intel-based Macs but is being run on an Apple Silicon based Mac via Rosetta-2 

See KB-84273 " 

---- OK

Next Message :   Transport (VMDB) error - 14: Pipe connection has been broken. And it halts there.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Those are expected error messages that you get when you try to use Fusion 12 on Apple Silicon (M1) Macs.
Fusion 12 does not work and is not supported on these Macs. You need to install the Fusion for Apple Silicon Tech Preview to run ARM virtual machines. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Allansch
Contributor
Contributor

This is bad news for me. The only reason I use Fusion is to run my Windows VM. Now that I am on an Apple Silicon Mac I am hosed. Unfortunately I will no longer be upgrading VMware. 

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@Allansch wrote:

This is bad news for me. The only reason I use Fusion is to run my Windows VM. Now that I am on an Apple Silicon Mac I am hosed. Unfortunately I will no longer be upgrading VMware. 

Don't blame VMware for Microsoft's decisions!  Not saying that you should continue to upgrade VMware - just saying don't blame one company for the decisions which two other companies (MS and Apple) made.

0 Kudos
Allansch
Contributor
Contributor

Not pointing blame at anybody. Just stating facts. 

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

A bit related but a little off topic as well.
Indeed this is a instance where the law of unintended consequences holds.

If we’ve learned nothing over the years, it’s that Apple marches to its own drummer. This is the 3rd major switch of chip architecture for the Mac in its history - and IIRC each of which was due to their hardware “partners” not being able to satisfy Apple’s need to stay relevant and competitive. 

They didn’t move to Intel to allow the Mac to run Windows although that turned out to be a benefit. They did it because they were out of options for processor chips for the Mac (PowerPC was no longer viable and competitive for desktop/laptop use). The continued use of Intel undoubtedly came to a similar decision point.  I’m sure they figured the switch to Apple Silicon allows them to get competitive advantages and a single CPU architecture compatible with their much more widely deployed mobile device ecosystem.  The collateral damage unfortunately happens to be running Windows on the Mac.

We probably could have a similar conversation about what Microsoft’s view of the universe is now that ARM architectures are providing alternatives to x86. In some ways it’s more interesting and complex due to Microsoft’s established position in the market. How heavily do they invest and push ARM while not compromising their bread and butter x86 business? That includes their investment in cloud and services which right now is almost certainly based on x86 technology. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

If you need Intel guests, buy an intel mac.  There's no other option.

There's Linux ARM guest OS's, and unsupported/experimental/not legal ways to run windows 11 ARM on Fusion.  

0 Kudos
Jack17
Contributor
Contributor

Even this doesn't work

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@Jack17  can you be a bit more specific when you say “even this doesn’t work”?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
brunocha
Contributor
Contributor

could you be specific about steps required to do so?

0 Kudos
brunocha
Contributor
Contributor

could you pls be specific about steps it entails to do this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

to do what?

Install an ARM based guest?  Read the preview guide - instructions are in there.

0 Kudos
katya11
Contributor
Contributor

Hey. I have intel mac and I still face this issue "This virtual machine cannot be powered on because it requires the Arm machine architecture, which is incompatible with this X86 machine architecture host."

Intel Core i5

MacOS Monterey v12.5.

Thanks in advance for your help. 

0 Kudos