VMware Communities
Asaiel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Importing W11 Pro Insider (ARM) from Parallels doesn't work

Hi there,

Just tried installing VMWare Fusion Tech Preview on my new m1 max MBPro.

Tried to import my previous parallels VM which used W11 Pro Insider (ARM) and worked fine. Import goes through with no error.

When trying to launch my new imported VM on VMWare, I get the following message: 

This virtual machine cannot be powered on because it requires the X86 machine architecture, which is incompatible with this Arm machine architecture host.

Which is quite weird since both the host and guest systems are ARM based...

Is there anything I can do about this?

Thx for your help...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Already answered. See https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech/Fusion-4-ARM-Import-from-a-working-W...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Already answered. See https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech/Fusion-4-ARM-Import-from-a-working-W...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Asaiel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thx for your quick answer.

Then I guess I'll just have to wait for a further version 😁

Regards,

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You might want to see if there are any tools out there that can convert that Parallels virtual disk to VMware vmdk. If you can do that, then You’d manually create a VM in Fusion and attach the converted vmdk to it. But any Parallels tools in the VM would have to be uninstalled. They won’t work and there are no VMware Tools for Windows on ARM. 

You might be better off grabbing a copy of the Windows 11 on ARM Insider Preview and starting fresh with that - using the information you’ll find in this forum to help you get it running. 

(and we’ll all have to have to wait for Microsoft to remove their Qualcomm exclusivity for Windows on ARM so that we can get a licensed and supported version of Windows 11 that will run on Apple Silicon). 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Asaiel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@Technogeezer Thx for your reply too.

No idea if any tool can do that, maybe someone here would have an advice?

0 Kudos