VMware Communities
cicero98
Contributor
Contributor

start pxe over ipv4 error

EDIT: IT JUST NOW WORKED. I must not have pressed the "any" key quickly enough, LOL...all it takes is posting a question it would seem!

have scoured these forums and the web. I've downloaded a half dozen different ISO versions of W11 InsiderPreview for ARM64 (using UUP Dump) including retail, beta and developer channels. I've downloaded the VHDX version from Microsoft and successfully converted it to vmdk.

I've tried clicking and dragging both the ISO file and the vmdk file to the install window. I've tried creating a custom virtual machine as described here: 

https://www.gerjon.com/vmware-fusion-on-apple-silicion-m1/

I've read the Tech Preview Tips and Techniques v9 from this community. I've read the Fusion-TP-22H2-Testing-Guide from here as well. 

Every single time I try to run the machine I get the pxe error. I've tried changing the TPE password. I've tried changing the disk size and memory settings with the vm off. I've tried altering the settings related to startup disk and the CD/DVD settings. 

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, but clearly something is not right. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

This one got me today too - annoying that it's timed, but then stays on the screen!

0 Kudos
cicero98
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly!

0 Kudos
PKBeam
Contributor
Contributor

how did you fix the issue?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The  Insider Preview VHDX is not an ISO that you drag onto the new VM creation wizard. It is an installed virtual disk image that you convert to VMDK, then attach it to a custom created virtual machine. The instructions are very explicit about that.

Having the PXE boot appear when you use an ISO that’s presented as a CD/DVD means that a bootable OS was not found in that ISO. What is the ISO that you have (complete with file name)!and how did you obtain it?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
cicero98
Contributor
Contributor

used UUP Dump to create several ISOs, of both Home and Pro versions, tried dev channel, retail, and beta. I ran the UUP Dump on an Intel Windows 11 laptop and had problems of many kinds. The first was that I had forgotten that even if I am logged into an admin account in Windows I STILL have to "Run as Administrator" explicitly in order to get the compilation of the ISO to complete without errors.

Ultimately I realized that when the VMWare window first prompted for CD or DVD I needed to immediately press a key (not a mouse click) and then the installer ran...

The one that finally worked was 22000.1.210604-1628.CO_RELEASE_CLIENTPRO_OEMRET_A64FRE_EN-US

0 Kudos
ryan4vp
Contributor
Contributor

I really need some help here if someone can please help me.

I downloaded from Windows Insider ARM 64 build 22598 and I ran the conversion through qemu-ing as has been posted around and I created a custom virtual machine but no matter what I do no matter how I do it I ALWAYS end up with the virtual machine saying "Start PXE over IPv4."

If ANYONE can please help me and walk me through this I would sure appreciate it. I am using VMWare Fusion Tech Preview the latest download possible from their website.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure the converted Windows Insider Preview VHDX file after you have run it through The qemu-img utility has an extensiion of .vmdk, not . vhdx. The command found in the Tech Preview Testing Guide has a typo.

The documented installation procedure for using converted VHDX files in the Tech Preview Testing Guide works. This thread  https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-22H2-Tech-Preview/Errors-installing-Windows-11-64-bit-on-M1... fills in steps you’ll want to take once you get the VM to boot. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Having done some testing, the conversion command in the Tech Preview Guide is not technically a typo, but can lead you to situations where the conversion is not done properly. And you will get the "start pxe over ipv4" message should you try to use the incorrectly converted file in a VM.

If the original and converted files are in the same directory, and you use a command similar to this (implied by using the info in the Guide):

qemu-img convert -p -O vmdk Windows11.VHDX Windows11.vhdx

this does not work. You will end up with a corrupted .vhdx file. Trying to use that incorrectly converted image will result in the VM failing to find a bootable image and dropping into PXE boot. 

Oh, and if you do happen to use this type of command, you will have to re-download the VHDX file as you have destroyed the original. 

To reliably get a proper conversion, make sure your destination file name is different than the source file name, and that the destination file has a .vmdk extension. Examples of what will work are:

qemu-img convert -p -O vmdk Windows11.VHDX Windows11.vmdk
qemu-img convert -p -O vmdk Windows11.VHDX NewWindows11.vmdk
- Paul (Technogeezer)
ryan4vp
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so very much for your help! I re-downloaded the file from Microsoft and issued the command exactly as you said and followed the advice in the tech guide along with the instructions for fixing the networking issue and voila it works! Again much appreciated. Hopefully it'll work. Really the only reason I need windows on my Mac is for QuickBooks and I do like AutoCAD better on the windows version than my Mac version....hopefully they get this all worked out without any kinks and get back to the days where it just "works".

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

It will be interesting to see how well AutoCAD runs in Windows 11 for ARM because I don't think they've converted it to a native ARM application. If you do get it to run and find an issue, you might want to report it here so see if they've exposed a bug in VMware's graphics driver. .

Also note that there is currently no 3D acceleration for the VMware graphics driver for Windows 11. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ryan4vp
Contributor
Contributor

I sure will! 

I am still just trying to get things set up to try on it. I've noticed that with this VMWARE there is no file sharing between the Mac and windows side. I wonder how long it will be until you can just run Windows normally as it has prior to the M1 MacBooks.... Any thoughts on it ?

0 Kudos
ryan4vp
Contributor
Contributor

In the "little bit" of running of AutoCAD in Windows 11 under PARALLELS it has worked fine. Just have a little display resolution differences it makes everything much smaller so I have to change the display settings. QuickBooks also runs great on the PARALLELS side as well. I've not tested much with the VMWARE yet as it is difficult (well more time consuming) to get all the files into the virtual machine since you can't direct share folders between this VMWARE and Mac yet.

I feel like I'm going to be forced into buying Parallels to move forward with working on apps I need. I started out on Parallels years and years ago and converted to VMWare and have been a solid fan of it ever since. I can't find any timetable when they'll actual have legit software to purchase and use again for us M1 Mac users.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Try enabling File sharing and Windows file sharing on the Mac as a workaround for Fusion shared folders. Mount the exported share into the Windows VM like you would any other Windows file share. 

VMware typically does not comment on release dates and content of upcoming releases. However they have hinted at a release “later this year” - I’d watch VMware’s upcoming user conference later this month for additional clues. In the past they’ve made statements about Fusion and Workstation there. 

Opinion: I would expect/hope that VMware will fill in the missing Tools features and installation process in that release. Maybe 3d support as well? 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
ryan4vp
Contributor
Contributor

I have been using Parallels now for a month or so (I paid for the educational version), and it has run rather flawlessly. Using AutoCAD and QuickBooks.

I miss my VMWare but honestly the Parallels has been really great. Come on VMWare get with it already!

tillemetry
Contributor
Contributor

I've found that most of the help here says Vmware doesn't work on M1.  Now supposedly it does, but all the linux images vmware provides are giving me a Start PXE over IPv4 error.  I'm sure the solution is simple, but try finding the solution here.  You can't.  Just use Parallels.  Its maclike.  It just works.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Many (and I’ll dare to say most) ARM Linux distributions work fine on Fusion on Apple Silicon Macs. If you are getting the PXE boot messages then you are doing something wrong.

To your comment about “Linux images that VMware provides” VMware doesn’t provide installation images for any operating system. That’s documented. . You have to get them yourself from the distributions. There are plenty of resources here in the community that will help you do that. 

Personally I’d rather get the media directly from the authors that than have to get install media from a third party that I have no idea what they’ve done to it and that I can configure it my way. 

You are entitled to your opinion on Parallels. Many are not a fan of its subscription model, the amount of telemetry that it’s gathering, and its somewhat convoluted interface. And it has its share of issues. The grass may be greener on the other side of the fence, but it’s just as hard to mow. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos